What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

here is why you need to check your plants often

a year ago i had 30 some species of Utrics and Genlisea, do to a plant stand collapse and lack of time im down to about a dozen pots that are positivly identified. i *THOUGHT* this was a dead pot that had some U. calycifida seed its self into but out of curiosity i checked the tag this weekend and it said "G. hispidula" and i thought well yeah those could be Gen leaves so i tap it out of its pot and this is what i saw

7090ad31.jpg

2f679178.jpg

anyone ever see anything like it? there is only a total of about 7 or 9 or so leaves on the surface

Yup, never assume a pot is dead without poking around first. I had the same expeience with my U. nelumbifolia which was in dead dry moss. Typical culture for this species is nearly aquatic. After noticing some feeble airlons (Yes, these are stolons that reach up into the air) I bumped it out of its pot and lo and behold there were rolons 3 mm diameter, and the rest seems to have done it good as there is good new growth.

same thing happened to me with U.prehensilus..

I had a pot of it that I was pretty sure had gone extinct, and I put a spoon into the moss and pulled a plug out- below the moss was a HUGE mess of... well, Utric-stuff, and so I dug a few more holes and now I have a big colony of it again, truly an odd species, since I hadn't changed anything about my protocols and still it decided to "improvise"... maybe I shouldn't let my plants hear so much jazz music...

Back