What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. longifolia

I just received some U. longifolia plants, and planted them in a mix of LFS/perlite/peat/orchid bark. I'll later give them some live LFS. Anyways, I was wondering how I should go about watering them? Should I use the tray method, or overhead water them every couple of days, as I am doing now?

-Ben

Mine did fine sitting in tray water, in fact the best lolons grew from the stolons that snuck out of the drainholes, just a-sittin in the tray water. These guys do best when they can ramble. If I ever get another I am going to try in in a shallow tray I think.

Just got that one back in my collection. Right now I have it triaging in swampy, live LFS.

ive got mine in constantly wet LFS in an 8 inch pot. i was going by Tamlins observations in his water tray. i really dont think this species is epiphyatic as it really seems to like lots of moisture and doesnt seem terribly drought tolerant. even without the tubers of its relitives nephrophyla will easily live through being actually dry for a couple days(but not 7 days of dry as i found out) and not miss a beat. my longifolia really starts looking bad before it even gets close to being dry.

U. longifolia is not epiphitic, it's just big! Are you saying you have tubers forming on your rolons? Mine never did that and I waasn't aware that this species is tuber forming.

the tubers was refering to nephrophylla's relative, reniformis.

the point was that even the epiphytic/semi-epiphytic species seem tollerant of semi-drought even without tubers. my longifolia has never shown a tendancy to be able to withstand dry or even slightly damp conditions without a severe setback

Back