What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aldrovanda

I need suggestions on what sort of SMALL plants/animals I can put into the aldrovanda container to keep nutrients/algae down. I tried w/ daphnia but they all died (eaten)? Anything that would be good?

I grow my aldrovanda in a two gallon $5 plastic tank, in it I include a botom of long fibered sphagnum moss and I added a small guppy, a snail (NOT THE ONES YOU FIND IN A POND!) and a population of daphnia and Ostracods. You feed them yeast and they will live.

you keep live lfs in it?
and where could I aquire more daphnia? (they all are gone as of this afternoon)

a pond. thats where they usually come from. LFS at the bottom is needed to keep the CO2 up that aldrovanda needs.

alex

How does the LFS keep the CO2 up if its submurged? May I see some pictures? This sounds interesting. This is one of the genuses I haven't aquired and tried yet.

when LFS decays under water it lets off CO2 as with any other decaying organism. just somthing i learned in Biology class
smile.gif
alex

I was not under the impression lfs could grow aquatically
but i have lots so I threw a batch in
we'll see how it goes!

Hmm Alex I don't remember that from my bio class. How knows maybe its one of those facts that have flew out of my mind already. Its something I hae to try when I finaly aquire a peice of this species.

Glider14:
For some time i have been watching this forum and watching your replies.
Do you/have you ever grown Aldrovanda? NO!.
So then you can you appreciate just how hard it is to set up an Aldrovanda tank and try to keep the plant alive? NO!.
Aldrovanda vesiculosa is quite a hard species to grow, giving 2nd hand advice thats usually wrong really ticks people off! especially when it could kill the plant.

So in conclusion please only give advice on your experiances of plants you grow and not something you herd that might be half true.
This isn't a personal attack against you so don't think that.

No not aquaticly, but as a rotting substrate in order to produce extra co2 for the plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TIG @ June 23 2006,5:46)]Glider14:
Do you/have you ever grown Aldrovanda? NO!.
So then you can you appreciate just how hard it is to set up an Aldrovanda tank and try to keep the plant alive? NO!.
Aldrovanda vesiculosa is quite a hard species to grow, giving 2nd hand advice thats usually wrong really ticks people off! especially when it could kill the plant.

So in conclusion please only give advice on your experiances of plants you grow and not something you herd that might be half true.
This isn't a personal attack against you so don't think that.
ECXUSE ME?!?!?!?! what are you talking about? are you stalking me or somthing? im a newbie at CPs i admit so therefore i give newbie advice(advice that newbies can possibly understand). im not trying to give wrong advice! before i answer any questions i always first research the question so i dont give wrong information. I KNOW ALDROVANA IS DIFFICULT!! that why i dont grow it. its just like N. Rajah or N. Lowii. there is no way i could possibly provide the conditiond foe them....im only 15!!! listen...i know aldrovanda needs above normal CO2 in the water so you either have to use a CO2 bubbler(what ever its called) or somthing to decompose at the bottom of the tank. LFS put at the bottom will slowly decompose there fore making CO2. SCIENCE!!! shew...not that that is off my chest please PM me with any wrong info i have given with in the past couple of weeks that other growers havent corrected me on. ill be sure to correct this info. does that make you any happier? good.

Alex

BTW i would like to called alex not glider14. i do have a name.

Getting all agressive will just make you look more foolish.
All i was saying in plain simple form was that no one likes a know it all.
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

it does kinda sound like youre being stalked...

hes getting more and more rude by the day...
mad.gif
. from the PM you sent me TIG it sounds like your the one who knows everything! bring it. show off your knowledge to the members of TF. im sure we can all learn somthing from you

EDIT: take a look at this
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Glider14:
how could he when he registered the day he posted that? think about it

Alex

umm you have a stalker

Edit: and TIG whats your experiance? How to be a troll? why would you jon a forum to complain about one of the members? If you think alex has incorrect info site your source and prove it untill then its your opinion

confused.gif
, ok Let the Noob have is little fit, and Just put up with it, no point in lashing back at him that just makes things worse guys!

Hey guys I hate to interrupt this drama...
but I still need a way to get rid of algae. Aldrovanda's doing great but theres little algae forming

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]from the PM you sent me TIG it sounds like your the one who knows everything! bring it. show off your knowledge to the members of TF
Iv been growing Nepenthes and all other genera of Carnivorous plants since before you were born!
A know it all is somebody who dose not grow the plant but still think that they know every aspect of it and how to keep it in captivity! (you) take my advice and speak only from your experiances, not somebody elces because each individual has a different experience.
Atleast thats my definition of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Edit: and TIG whats your experience? How to be a troll? why would you jon a forum to complain about one of the members? If you think alex has incorrect info site your source and prove it untill then its your opinion
You shouldn't say such nice things about trolls such as myself!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey guys I hate to interrupt this drama...
but I still need a way to get rid of algae. Aldrovanda's doing great but theres little algae forming
A ph of 6-6.5 will keep the Aldrovanda happy and slow the algae down,put water plants such as lilly pads in the tank to soak up any excess nutrients that cause algae to grow.
Also put pond snails in the tank and they shall eat the algae.

Good luck!

DUDE..............your getting a stalker!
smile_n_32.gif

as for gliders advise, it falls in line with what you just said just a different way of going about it. as to whether it adds extra C02 in amounts to be benificial would require testing but i think the theory is sound. as for algae, as long as its on the side of the tank and not growing on the plant no biggy, infact a good mat of algea on the back glass of a tank will probably starve out free floating algae.

TIG, dont sign up just to harass the newbies, its not a good practice

There is some on the plants, I took it off manually, but it would be nice if something could prevent it from growing there altogether
in other respects theyre great, and the algae didn't harm them cos it didnt get too bad.

Back