What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. longifolia

glider14

Always a newbie
Does U. longifolia need a dry winter dormancy? when does it usually flower?
Alex

In answer to your first question, no, not in my experience (7 years and 5 different clones)

In answer to your second question, your guess is a good as mine because mine won't flower for me come hades or high water

thanks. can it be potted in straight LFS?
Alex

Sure. LFS, live sphag, peat, peat:sand, Nep mix, pine bark mulch. It is a weed

yes, mine is in pure LFS kept constantly wet, Tamlins had good luck growing it as an affixed shallow aquatic(sand substrate and about an inch or lil less of water.

i cant get mine to flower either and i got it as a division of one that flowers regularly. it doesnt like me either Pyro
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks.
Alex

A,

I grow mine in a mix of LFS,Peat, and Perlite, might be some vermiculite in there too.
You'll see there is plenty attached to it.

I grow it as an affixed aquatic as well, atleast I used to.. Been running short on time lately, so they have been drying up abit.

It has spread like a weed for me, tho the leaves don't seem to be all that long lived.

And just like everyone else has said so far, I have no idea on how to get it to flower. This, U. tricolor and U. reiniformis (Feeling lazy hope I spelled that right) are the 3 species I have that haven't flowered yet.

thanks. i just put it in the buttload of Live Sphagnum i also got from you. yea there was vermiculite in there. thanks again for the plants Dave
Alex

Surprise, surprise, mine won't flower either!

I have some U. longifolia thriving on the wall of my terrarium.
I don't understand it, it's just growing on the wet wall next to the pot, its not connected to the main plant. (picture to come).

Sadly the main plant isn't doing so well anymore, i think it choked itself after growing so many traps and "roots"

Sadly the main plant isn't doing so well anymore, i think it choked itself after growing so many traps and "roots"

this is why Utrics need to be divided regularly, if yah dont they tend to crash and it usually happens fast. ive had overcrowded pots go from looking fine(though really crowded) to complete brown mush in 10 days. regular divisions prevemnts this

ok so i got i in LFS...when it gets too big how would i go about dividing it? since i never have before
Alex

Just cut a chunk out and start it in a new pot, or cut the whole mat up and start off in a bunch of new pots..

Literally pull a chunk apart and start it off in another pot.

Well this just isn't very encouraging.

I have minimal experience with Utrics and this is one of the ones that I have from Sarr NW. I am going to repot it but was confused about some stalks sticking up that look like grass. I was wondering if all of the leaves are roundish or if some blade-of-grass looking ones are found. OR are there indeed some pieces of grass growing in this pot? From the discussions on here, it seems like it doesn't really matter too much. I guess I shouldn't be expecting any flowers either.

This and the mat of gibba aren't helping to pump me up to further the Utric collection. I knocked the jar with the gibba into the garbage can next to the bathroom sink and when I pulled it out...it turned out that it was actually a mat of hair! I guess I'll just have to wait a bit but a plant that gets confused for shower drain matter...I don't know.

Which leads to yet another question...cleaning algea off of a gibba. I couldn't get all of the green slime off. Anybody have a trick?

I know nothing about these guys.

what are you using for soil? if it has chilean LFS in it its prolly full of reed seeds, the stuff i buy always is. as for flowering, some ppl have great luck and some ppl have no luck, yah dont know unless you try.

it'll probably be a little peat and mostly Mosser Lee LFS with some perlite.

mine has deteriorated over time. its still alive...just not growing. if anyone has gotten plants from Dave S. it is planted in the soil he uses for Heliamphora. its a mix of ...peat, perilite, and bark...i think. anywho. ill get pics of it and all of its pitifulness.
Alex

I grow mine in equal parts of peat moss, perlite and LFS.
I have 2 flower stalks coming up right now. :-D

(The middle flower in my sig is from the last time my U. longifolia flowered)

Well this just isn't very encouraging.

I have minimal experience with Utrics and this is one of the ones that I have from Sarr NW. I am going to repot it but was confused about some stalks sticking up that look like grass. I was wondering if all of the leaves are roundish or if some blade-of-grass looking ones are found. OR are there indeed some pieces of grass growing in this pot?

It does not sound like you are growing longifolia, as the leaves on the species are not round, they are long and ribon-like. You may have tricolor, the grass being aborted flower stems...

Back