What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia biloba

I've always wondered about U. biloba, it has really nice blue flowers. And one of my questions is: Can this plant be grown as a terrestrial? Or is it strictly aquatic? I know U. gibba can be grown both ways, it this the case with U. biloba?

-Ben

I have it, but am only aware of it being aquatic. But then again, I don't know. Maybe Throckmoron will find this topic.

Has it flowered for you Jim? Do ya grow it on a windowsill?

-Ben

It's on the window sill. I just received a sprig of it a couple weeks ago. I don't expect anything from it until next year. Do you think it would be worthwhile to try a piece of it outside?

What about trying a piece terestrially?  If you have enough to experiment.  I know the azzola I have that I grow aquaticly seemed to go pretty good as a terestrial too. right along side some dews.

Hmm, I've seen several pics on google that show it growing in peat/sand, with some stolons growing out. Jim, I dunno, it's from Australia, I think, but I spose you could grow it as an annual. I think I'll try it as a terrestrial, if I ever do get it. Where did you get yours Jim?

-Ben

It is an affixed aquatic. It grows anchored to the substrate with the leaves under water.

Gotta love discussion forums! Mine came from Throckmoron. I'll add some substrate. What I'll do is put media in a strawberry container and have it be in a tub outside.

Mine grows in an undrained box with the water kept around 1" above the top of the surface of the media, occasionally dropping to the same level as the top of the media. Been in flower constantly since last summer.

So, would I be able to grow one of these in a ten gallon terrarium? Or would it need more space? I'm not suggesting that I fill the tank with water, but rather that I have lots of plants growing in it under growlights, which I do. So, technically, it could be grown as a terrestrial, with lots of flooding, right? That's how I grow my U. dichotoma, with the water level almost always at or above the surface of the soil.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So, would I be able to grow one of these in a ten gallon terrarium? Or would it need more space?

My undrained plastic tub is small. Dimensions about 6" square by 4" deep, with about 3" of substrate. One to two pints' capacity?

I wouldn't say as a terrestrial with lots of flooding, but rather as a flooded anchored semi-aquatic, with periodic water fluctuation down to the surface level being tolerable only. It wants its leaves under shallow water as much as possible. The leaf structure of U. biloba is the typical feathery design of most other aquatic utrics.

U. dichtoma is different - it is a terrestrial that tolerates flooding. The morphology (such that it is) of the plant is that of a terrestrial utric.

I would not recommend growing U. biloba as a terrestrial with occasional flooding or water at the top of the soil, but by all means try as it unlikely to harm the plant - although I would have less confidence in successful/prolific flowering in such conditions.

Cheers.

Utricularia biloba will grow happily as a terrestrial but does not produce the long pinnate leaves that it does when grown submerged. Instead it grow small leaves similar to those of U. subulata except thinner. A significant portion of its life in nature is spent as a regular terrestrial species would when the water recedes during the warmer months of the year. I've seen it growing in its natural habitat in Sydney.

Back