Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia longifolia/reniformis/praelonga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been offered these Utrics in a trade and am wondering how hard they are to care for and any pointers you guys care to provide. From what little I've found to read they aren't exactly beginnner species(at least not popular ones).
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well longifolia is doing awesome for me. it in pure LFS with live SM on the top and in one of those containers that elgecko uses....like This.
    mine is on a windowsil and just grows and grows... i cant say much about the others though...
    Alex

PS: it is also VERY easy to proagate. just snip a leaf in half, lay it in some wet LFS and in a few weeks you will be getting new longifolia!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. longifolia and praelonga are very very easy to cultivate. Both grow very well as wet terrestrials and can spread to attain substantial bulk, they will even become invasive if you are not careful.

U. reniformis is a little tougher but still not a crazy difficult plant. Best bet for cultivation for this guy is live sphag that is kept only damp enough to keep the sphag growing. It really hates wet feet.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    longifolia and praelonga are easy. i grow longifolia in a tub of wet LFS. praelongia grew in wet peat for me just like most any other terrestrials without any problems.

reniformis never does well for me. just sorta survives. its in an 8 inch pot of lfs and orchid bark, kept barely damp. always has a few leaves but is never much to look at. it REALLY did not like being grown in wet peat. its one of those plants that grows great for some. and just hangs on for others.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it matter what form of reniformis you are talking of. This would be the Enfant Terrible form.

Good to hear longifolia is pretty easy!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhhhhhhhhhh good question. the reniformis i mention above is the large form. i had one labled "U. nephrophylla(possibly small form of reniformis)" which i am pretty sure was reniformis as it didnt grow like my correctly identified nephrophylla. this form didnt mind being constantly wet in peat, infact it did quite well aslong as it had room. cant comment on Enfant Terrible as i just recently got it.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second (third? Fourth??) the ease of cultivation for U.longifolia- I am by no means a master grower, but I have grown it easily on a windowsill for a couple of years and seen it flower once last spring(tho I think now that the thing is a bona fide monster it should flower regularly at the proper time)

One bit of advice, don't worry about tooo big a container, from what I've experienced and been told, they really enjoy being pot-bound and will flower best if they get like that
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had an easy time with U. longifolia, keeping it semi-aquatic. U. praelonga did well for me until I moved and had it outside. I probably shocked it to death! I had U. reniformis for a little while, but it died out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast