Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U. sandersonii - standard and blue forms

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U. sandersonii - standard and blue forms

The standard form has been doing very well and flowering at my balcony with 80-90degF. The blue form is new but was grown by a friend in aircon conditions with maybe 65-75degF. Now I have both forms at my balcony. Does the blue form need cooler conditions or will it do as well as the standard in warmer conditions?

Standard

Blue

Cindy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, they are beautiful, Cindy! What are your growing conditions for the blue form? Are they kept flooded or just periodically? High light? Warm temps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aww poor jim cant bloom his blue form for nothing.... i got mine to bloom just a little while ago. yours should bloom if its in the same conditions as the other one... mine is in intermediate-like conditions. its actually blooming right now! good luck with yours Cindy....and Jim
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what works for one works for the other, just remember the blue form doesnt put on the show the regular form does so if the blue is only putting out a couple of flowers your doing things right. in the 4 inch pots i use the standard form will put out a hundred or more flowers. the blue form might have a dozen.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blue form came with 2 open flowers and a bud. Now that it is at my balcony, the flowers fell off and the bud ain't opening. The leaves are growing but they seem smaller and almost like the ones on my standard form (the blue form came with leaves about 3 times that of the standard form!).
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the size of the leaves has to do with the amount of light it gets. they should be the same size in the same light. if you moved it to a new area its normal for the blooming to stop for awhile
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the one who gave Cindy the blue form of the sandersonii. In fact, it is the same flower stalk that I had posted earlier here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=106224

I grow the colony under a PL blub of 11W if that is helpful. It is grown in my office that is airconditioned ca. 23-24 degree celcius between 8AM to 10PM daily.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler you could have fooled me!!! I have the blue form even though it was just sent to me as sandersonii and it is flooded with flowers!!!!!! I will have to take a picture of it, but the 4 inch pot is just covered in flowers. I have been giving away several plugs of it with flower stalks.

I growe mine in my GH with everything else. Just two layers of plastic now. During the winter I do not have the shade cloth on. It is in a cooler corner of my GH close to the intake vent. The temps get down to the 50's at night and hasn't gotten over 80 very much since it got cold. Maybe you are not getting it cool enough.

I will have to take a picture of mine then since it is definately the blue form. Now I need a standard form. LOL
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast