What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need utriculatia help

I need some help with my Utricularia. They grow and produce leaves, but they grow very slow. I have a 3 inch pot of U.livida and it has taken over 1 month just to get about half of the pot filled. The same thing has happend with my U.livida. The leaves are not a lush green, but rather a more sickly green. I have tried 50:50 peat:perlite, 50:50 silica sand:peat, and pure peat moss as my growing media, and none seem to help. They always have a plentiful supply of water, and have a temp. around 78-82F with humidity of 35-45%. Here are some pics of what they look like.
P1050642.sized.jpg

P1050644.sized.jpg

filling half of a 3 in pot in a month is about normal growth, not as fast as it can grow but well with in the norm...........dont really see anything wrong off hand............if a Utric is growing it is usually happy.........

might try more light...............

I get the impression that even the weedy Utrics, such as U. livida, need several weeks (even months) to just plain acclimate to new conditions. Then tack on occasional flooding and photoperiod and intensity of light. 3 years ago I was given my first Utrics from Copper - U. sandersonii (white & blue) & livida. Aside from knowing absolutely nothing about how to care from them, it just took awhile before I saw activity above the surface. After 3 months the white form began flowering. The livida did nothing until months after I took the colony outside. Then it kept flowering for months. The blue form.... well.... eventually I saw a couple scapes.... but no actual flowers.

I'm with Jimscott. My first ultric, a bisquamata, had 3 flower stalks when I got it abouit 3 months ago. Just this past week it has started to produce many many more. I think it just needed lots of time to acclimate. Now the flower stalks are going insane, and now I'm worried that it is about to infest all of my other CP pots!!! Be careful what you wish for!

xvart.

I agree, I think it may just need more time. Perhaps next time an airier mix... I've never had success without some LFS thrown in. Just a thought,

Cole

ya, i also agree, i took care of some Utric;s in a terraium awhile back and even under excellent conditions they only covered about a quarter of the 35 gallon tank. Another thing, even though you said you put in 50:50 sand peat, its looks like you need some more sand.

ya, i also agree, i took care of some Utric;s in a terraium awhile back and even under excellent conditions they only covered about a quarter of the 35 gallon tank. Another thing, even though you said you put in 50:50 sand peat, its looks like you need some more sand.

Actually, the U. livida is in pure peat and the U. subulata is in a 2:1 peat:perlite mix.

I guess they just need time to adjust to the new soil mix from where I transplanted them in late December. Hopefully they will start growing fast and send lots of flower scapes up.

Colio, I will try some lfs soon and see if that helps any.

Thanks for all of the help,
Tyler

most Utrics dont care what media they are in aslong as its wet...........if a Utric is growing its usually happy.........if it doesnt like something it will tell you........never seen any plant crash as fast as Utric that desides its got nothing left to live for

Back