What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. longifolia and U. calycifida pics

Click thumbnails for bigger pics.

Utricularia longifolia (bladderwort):

Taken with Canon EOS 20D and 24-70mm f/2.8L lens

Taken with Canon EOS 20D and 100mm f/2.8 macro lens

U. calicyfida:

Taken with Canon EOS 20D and 100mm f/2.8 macro lens

SWEEET!!!

Beautiful shots- the U.longifolia one kinda makes up for my clone refusing to flower this year :D

And since someone is gonna ask, might as well do it meself- did you do anything special to induce flowering?? Hoe long has that specimen been relatively undisturbed in its current pot?? And what conditions do you keep it in usually??

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but it sure looks like you are doing things correctly, keep up the good work man!

mabudon....................ask Pyro..............he is a master at flowering longifolia :-))

I am not such thing!! Never flowered any of the 6 clones that I have much to my shame. I can bloom alpina and asplundii and praetermissa and 'Jitka' and endresii and jamesoniana but for the life of me I can not get longifolia to bloom.

And since someone is gonna ask, might as well do it meself- did you do anything special to induce flowering?? Hoe long has that specimen been relatively undisturbed in its current pot?? And what conditions do you keep it in usually??

I've had this specimen for a couple years, and this is the first time it flowered.

What is different is I put it in a deep, 6"x6" plastic drained pot, in 100% long-fiber sphagnum. I keep it in a greenhouse flat filled with water. It shares space with a D. californica, N. ventricosa, and H. heterodoxa x minor. It took a while to become rootbound in the larger pot, and apparently, it needs a larger pot, and to be rootbound in that larger pot, before it will flower.

It had another flower scape earlier this year, but my cat ate it. :censor:

Great job and photography!

lol I had nothin to do with that, Pyro- rattler tryin to stir up trouble- NO WAY ;)!!!

Scott- right, okay- mine was in a 4" pot in my windowsill for almost 2 years when it flowered (last year around now) I never re-potted heem and this year I think I disturbed it by digging a couple wee plugs out- other than that, EVERYTHING is the exact same and it is looking like no flowers this year darnit, thanks for making an effort explaning what MIGHT have done it tho, sooner or later someone's gonna figure it out I hope :D

Oh, and sorry about that first scape- I am REAL glad my doggie has NO interest in my plants!

hey mabudon............... :slap: :poke:

:-))

Side view:

The scapes come up about 12-15" before they flower.

This one was shot with my Canon EOS 20D with 24-70mm f/2.8L lens, using aperture priority mode, with aperture set to f/8.0, ISO 200 speed, 68 mm focal length.

Thanks. You guys have probably jinxed me. I've had my U. longifolia 1 year the 11th of this month and it has sent up a scape and the bud(s) is(are) starting to form on the tip of it. Not realizing what a bugger it is to get to flower I thought nothing of it. Now I know and it will probably go poof! :nono:

:poke:

LMAO don't sweat it, Steve, I had much the same experience- people plied me with questions after I mentioned mine flowered, and I really didn't have any answers, but I was surprised at some of the "names" who were in the dark on this one... maybe it's a "once in a lifetime" thing, it's no jinx, this particular species is just a tricky one, simple to grow but hard to actually appreciate...

LOL hey why don't you just print out some of SarrScotts pics, cut them out and put them on green sticks in your U.longifolia pot?? I think I might do that actually until they decide to co-operate :D

longifolia is one of those species that flowers like mad for one person and the next cant get it to bloom............simple to grow and impossible to flower, thats U. tricolor.........i still say its a myth that that thing actually flowers :grin:

Back