What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea flower stalk propagation

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
I thought I would ask this question over here since it might get missed in the original thread.

What's up with flower stalk propagation on Genlisea? Do you have to do anything special to the stalk or just lay it on the growing medium.

xvart.

No special treatement for the ones I grow. It should have traps and leaves already, so just just place it in the appropriate medium. I would suggest live LFS.

I have bent the stalk over and I have also cut the plantlet off; both methods worked for me.

So you just cut the stalk down and lay it on the medium and then it grows new plantlets?

xvart.

I've got two Genlisea that are flowering and I haven't done anything special with them, other than making sure that the declining scape is over its pot. Never noticed if seeds produced (if any) have resulted in any new plants, though.

So you just cut the stalk down and lay it on the medium and then it grows new plantlets?

xvart.

Yes, I have heard that it works, but I have not seen it yet. I would keep the stalk attached if you are trying to propagate it that way.

Sometimes the new plants will already be growing on the stalk, with the traps hanging in mid-air. At that point, I have cut them off the stalk and planted them up.

BTW, trap cuttings have given me the most success, followed by leaf pulling.

I can say for sure that it works. DOne it a number of times with my G. hispidula.

Heck, sometimes the thing sprouts roots while it is aloft!!

Back