Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aldrovanda Attempt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wouldn't consider it a waste if my aldrovanda doesn't make it... I'll just have a nice little aquatic utric container! And I can always try again.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. You can't find Aldrovanda much, but when you do, they are usually only a little more or less than 10$ without shipping.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I guess they're cheap because there's not a big demand for them.. since it's hard to keep them alive and all.

I ordered a U. gibba to keep the aldro company.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be too invasive and unruly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah.. I'll just have to keep an eye on it then.. or possibly divide it..

Anyways! I just got back from a nice big shopping spree..

First I went to That Fish Place and they had NOTHING but water hyacinths which I am holding off on getting until i'm ready for it. From there I went to Home Depot.. again.. they had NOTHING.. except play sand and fungicide.. so I bought two bags. ^^ Then, dissatisfied with the lack of completion of my shopping list I went to Lowes they had nothing I needed except for an appliance timer which was on clearance for $3! Score! Only problem I've seen with it so far is that it smells funny. So then as a last resort we went to the branch of the place that I work that was right down the road from Lowes and bought like 95% of the stuff on my list. Their garden department is MASSIVE and I could've gotten lost and been eaten by the dreaded garden hose snake, but my mom's sense of direction is better than mine so nothing tragic happened. No one knew what profile was but I did find it, it just wasn't called Profile.. but I'm almost positive it's what I was lookin' for. It says on the back that it's 100% kiln-fired ceramic. The only thing I didn't find on my list.. was clay, sadly, and I have no idea where I could find it. So... I guess I'll have to do without. I hope it's not THAT important. So tomorrow I'll put everything together and collect some leaves from somewhere.. Oh, do the leaves have to be dead? The container I got is 48.8 quarts and it's about.. 6-8 inches high and at least 2 and a half feet long. I'm hoping that's good enough. I made sure to get one that's longer than it is deep.

I was so disappointed with Home Depot.. they didn't even have Sphagnum Peat Moss. Lowes had this gigantic Cobra Lily. I swear the head of that pitcher was easily a good inch-inch and a half across. So tempting.. but I resisted and just hoped that it wasn't a T/C mutant and mine will get that big eventually.

I also got some stuff to start a little bog bowl. Since my sarrs don't seem to like the winter too much. So yeah, I'm a happy happy CPer right now. I'm one of the only people that can turn something like shopping for plant stuff into an evening's adventure, lol.

Clint, did you get your new aldrovanda yet or are you still waiting? If you got it, how's it going?

Ah.. one more question.. On this little poster thing above the water hyacinths it says "for algae prevention" how do they prevent algae? Just cuz of shade or what? They're not really that big.

I lied, the fungicide I got at Home Depot was the kind you had in that pic of that utric you posted in the trading post. I had no idea what else to get and I saw that and I was like "Oh Clint uses that, it must be ok to use!" so I got it.. do you dilute it when you use it?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKiento View Post
    I lied, the fungicide I got at Home Depot was the kind you had in that pic of that utric you posted in the trading post. I had no idea what else to get and I saw that and I was like "Oh Clint uses that, it must be ok to use!" so I got it.. do you dilute it when you use it?
    I told you! He does product placements! I guess you earned a buck today, Clint!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, really 1.12 but who's penny pinching? I'm Schultz rich baby.

It's fine to use. It's just neem oil. I like the smell of it. Not that I sit around huffing fungicide or anything but it has a neat smell to it. I don't dilute it, and the only plant I've had that was bothered by it was D. adelae, but come on, everything pisses off D. adelae. It's so melodramatic. Like a goth kid on his birthday.

I used dead leaves and since I live in GA, I just got a few cups of clay out of the yard. If you want to pay shipping I guess I can send you some clay in a flat-rate box if you want. What a strange offer.

I'm still waiting for my Aldrovanda. It should be here in the month sometime. I'll post pics when it arrives. It's temperate and since it was growing outside in a private pond the unseasonable temperatures have set it back.

I'm getting Aldrovanda sent to me from this pond if you care to see the pics. They are REALLY neat pics, since it's like in NJ. No one better pester this man for plants or introducing a species, I mean it. It's private and 100% legal.

http://icps.proboards105.com/index.c...ead=1175287959

The hyacinths do give shade but it's the feathery roots that suck up excess nutrients and out compete algae. They even use hyacinths in sewage treatment plants. Mine were killed in the great freez of '07. I need more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm I wonder if I should get 2 of them then? And that sucks that they can't deal with freezing... I'm gonna have to bring the whole thing inside in the winter. T-T

And those are definately some neat pics! It's neat that aldrovanda can live up here. I'm right above NJ so the climate is pretty much the same.

So you have clay in your yard, eh? I wonder if I do.. I've dug a few holes in my time but.. I doubt I've seen any red clay.. If it's THAT important then I'll have to take up your offer.. this has turned into quite an investment so I wouldn't want to leave out one part and everything go to waste cuz of that one thing.

Alright cool so that fungicide is okay.. it won't bug seedlings either will it? Lol.. "It's so melodramatic. Like a goth kid on his birthday." xD
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast