Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aldrovanda Attempt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aldrovanda Attempt

I have found a place to get aldrovanda from.. and I REALLY want to try to grow it. I want to know if anyone here has successfully grown it and how they do it. I have gathered SOME information, but it requires materials that are unavailable to me (like sedges). The biggest thing I'm worried about is algae. Last year I tried to grow an aquatic utric and algae took it out in no time at all. So I need a good method for keeping algae at bay. Other information I need is just HOW to keep it alive. I've heard from numerous sources that they're pretty delicate and are finicky about their conditions so I want to try and get it as close to perfect as possible with what I have.

ANY information is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the guy who I'm getting mine from (.. third time around!) says use some clay since it has iron and boron in it. Like... really it sounds crazy but get some clay lol.

My tank is a big rubbermaid storage container, with clay and leaves on the bottom, then peat and LFS (the leaves and LFS is so it will rot and make co2) and then a layer of Profile to keep it nice and tidy. Then I planted reeds and weeds from the lake in it. Add a couple of floaters. I like water hyacinth since water lettuce just melts for me for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clay? Hmmm.. I wonder if I can dig it up somewhere, I dunno.

What's profile? I've heard the term before but it's not ringing a bell.

I guess I've got a shopping (or collecting) list! And by collecting, I mean like.. the leaves and stuff.

Thanks for all the info!

Out of curiousity, how did they die the other 2 times?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquatic plant media. It's little inert baked clay pebbles made from Fullers Earth. I think homedepot sells 10 lb. bags for like 6 bucks.

One try was plants from Kimberly, another was from Darwin. On one it was lack of co2 , on the other they just melted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah okay, so that's what profile is. I think if Home Depot doesn't have it, I know of a place that will.

They melted? Like.. too hot?

I don't really have any lakes or ponds or something here.. so I think I'm going to just get a random aquatic plant and hope it does the trick. Not much else I can do.

Edit: I ordered my aldrovanda last night, it's a red Australian species. It came with three algae eating snails AND it was cheaper than my first source so I went for it. Which means I need to get my setup..uhh.. set up.. ASAP.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno. They just... disintegrated. If you want I can send you some plants next time I'm up at the lake which will be uhhh.. I dunno maybe a week? Otherwise get some plants at HomeDepot like water hyacinth, phalaris grass (neat plant that phalaris!), carex species if they have them, other dicots.

Don't be stingy with the layer of LFS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew about the carex, but I haven't found any yet. I don't think Home Depot has aquatic plants but That Fish Place does. I'll try my luck with Home Depot and That Fish Place before anything else.

And yeah I was thinking of using an entire bag on it. :P

I hope Home Depot has their garden department ready finally.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeeze. I've only grown CP's for a few months and the only hard one I've killed so far is my Heliamphora (I think it's dead, it is officially H. minor var. brown) but I'm not going to toss it out of the pot for a long while because who knows, it may be alive! I bought an Aldrovanda a long while ago, but I told the seller to hold it off until I could get the materials ready. And by that I meant a year or so.

Some people recommend companion plants like Utricularia gibba (I do not like Utricularia, but I'd rather put a carnivorous plant in that I don't like than a dumb tall one that is annoying like a dwarf cattail or typha minima)
    - NeciFiX

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast