Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new Aldrovanda

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking plant(s)! Someday I'd like to procure a specimen. I remember when I was visiting elgecko, he had some Aldrovanda. I think it was actually in an outside filter of his Discus tank.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbcarnivore View Post
    adnedarn. Are you sure your aldrovanda will succeed (well, long term) in a fish aquarium? Low light levels, constant algae problems, nutrients from the fish food, etc.
    Nutrients are good. Unbalanced nutrients are bad. You have to have certain ratios of macros and trace elements AND proportional light and CO2 levels related to your nutrients AND enough plants to suck them up (so you can add more) and that's the secret to a fancy planted aquarium without significant algae (you'll always have algae no matter what. You have to strike a balance).

It was very hard for me, while maintaining a reef was easy peasy (go figure!)

The best plants I ever saw were flowering in an aquarium under PC lighting, nutrient supplementation and CO2 injection.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, it wasn't even under the lights but it's still alive. Now I've added a single flourcent tube over the plant in the fish tank and we'll see if anything changes there. The thank providing the best aldro at this point is the planted tank. Which has a lot of algae in it, but it also has aldro strands up to about 8" long.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12