What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric soil combos

Hi all,

I have been doing some research and have found many different soil combos for these utrics:

renifomis
calcifida
nelumbifolia

I want to find what one works the best, could anyone help me out?

many thanks,

Shawn

no expert by any means but I was told to use straight peat moss with my calycifidia and its doing very well.

calycifida does fine in pure peat. reniformis depends ive seen it in everything from pure peat to pure LFS and some exotic mixes inbetween. mine is growing in more or less pure LFS that i allow to completely dry out. nelumbifolia i grew in pure lfs kept constantly wet. i lost the plant when the LFS compacted and started to decay. will have to try something else. do a search in this forum for posts by Pyro, he wrote up a growers guide not to long ago.......

Or I can chime in :)

For calycifida you can use just about anything and it will grow.

For reniformis and nelumbi you will need something loose. As Rattler mentioned, reniformis hates wet feet so drying out of the media for it is a good idea. On the flip side, nelumbi is pretty much a sub-aquatic and so should be grown wet all the time.

That is the quick and dirty answer

Ok, Ill leave everone where the are but I will put reniformis where it can dry out and I will keep an eye out for soil compression. And if I see it, I think I will add some orchid bark.

if the LFS dries out on a regular basis you dont have to worry about compression. also until you get it established i wouldnt dry it out compleatly for awhile. dont keep it soaked all the time but i wouldnt let it get bone dry till it definatly has some good tubers

Back