What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda seed germination--success!

Here's the pic to prove it!

Aldrovandaseedling.jpg

The green part is clearly the leaves of the plant, having a star-like appearance. The little brown proboscis-like thing with the black tip I'm guessing is a root...all plants first produce a root upon sprouting, Aldrovanda is no exception. This is the only time Aldrovanda makes a root.

I've been getting seed from plants for several months, after I squeezed a pod where there used to be flowers...and I was surprised when 5 or so black seeds spilled out. I've been collecting some in a tray of water, and I started leaving them outside in the sun. And this morning I discoved one sprouted!

Enjoy!!

PS. If you want to trade for some Aldrovanda, please go to this thread:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109465

Congrats on the Germination!

-Nate

Geat job! What's with all the Aldrovanda activity this past week?!

It's been about one week, the little guy is still alive and kicking! It put out its first few traps, aren't they cute?

05Aug2007_Aldrovandaseedling_1.2.jpg

I've collected quite a bit more seed. Seems one of them is sprouting, I think that's a root forming from the seed in the middle of the photo.

05Aug2007_Aldrovandaseedling_2.1.jpg

Back