What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii plug

5/28/08 Update.

Here's a quick update of the original plug I started this thread about. Like I mentioned earlier, I divided it a little while ago and lost all the stolons. It's growing well below ground. I've given it a more peaty mix and keeping it wetter than it was in the original pictures. So, it certainly doesn't look impressive right now. If you have x-ray vision take a peak and hopefully you can tell me that it's growing "gang busters" subterranean, lol.

Uhumboldtii2-52808.jpg

Uhumboldtii1-52808.jpg

And yes, Andrew, I bet yours looks better! :censor:

xvart.

Where went all your bragging man?! LOL Here is my update.
-Andrew

Where went all your bragging man?! LOL Here is my update.
-Andrew

lol. It's looking great. Nice work. Why are the leaves wavy?

xvart.

maybe wants more light... it sits in the rack under trays of VFTs.. and since it's tall.. the leaves are tucked really high directly under the above water tray... That's my guess. ???

I've also had to move mine away from the lights since I went to hanging pots on one of my shelves. I keep meaning to rig up the U. hum pot to hang, too; but keep forgetting. It's now sitting a couple feet from the lights in the shadow of the hanging pots.

xvart.

Do they want it shady?

mine is under 3 pairs of 32 watt T8's....however Andy has his in his greenhouse and im not sure where xvart has his

and im not sure where xvart has his

Mine used to be four six inches below four 4' T12 fluorescents. It's now about two feet from the lights until I string it up as a hanging pot so it will be back to six or seven inches below the lights.

xvart.

Now that mine is growing pretty well, I thought about bringing it out to more light to see what happens.. but I'd hate xvart to jump in front of me in this contest if it happens to die back or something LOL!

you two crack me up......

So, you've seen the topic... Where is YOUR update Mr. !?! :-P-:

im out doing either of you course ive got about a years head start and received a bigger division......think im going to move it to a bigger container and leave a chunk of it as just LFS to see what happens......saw alot of growth in the live LFS growing in its pot.........BTW hows the hybrid doing for you? took a division today and there are prolly a hundred tubers in the 6 inch pot with 3 leaves.

It pops a lot of leaves up... but they promptly die back.. then it throws up a bunch more and those die LOL I haven't been able to figure out what it wants yet... I let it dry between waterings like a house plant... but I think i even tried keeping it wetter and it does the same thing. It pops up all over that 6" pot though, so it's got lots of under ground growth.

sounds about what mine does.....ive decided a tall pot with holes in the sides for air circulation and to allow leaves to grow out and only watering it from the tray, no top watering.....it seems to like to form tubers in the hollow spaces in the fluffed up LFS where its nice and humid but not to wet....never have had more than about 6 leaves at a time...some stay a long time, some die back with in a couple weeks.......some die back while others that appear at the same time stick around for months.....i think its schizophrenic and needs counciling.....

it's a fairly deep pot i'd say... but i do top water. I'll have to try that.

i gave up top watering with it also cause the LFS doent seem to compact near as much if i let it wick up water instead of top watering......granted all of this us unfounded theory.......it just makes sense to me :grin:

i gave up top watering with it also cause the LFS doent seem to compact near as much if i let it wick up water instead of top watering......granted all of this us unfounded theory.......it just makes sense to me :grin:

We may make a scientist out of you yet!

xvart.

ive seen someone keep humboldtii in a large sealed jar with only LFS as growing medium and it seems to be really healthy and they say its been growing for 4 years like that, undisturbed and unopened. Does anyone else have experience with growing them like this?

ive recently tipped my pot of about 8 sprouts and am left with 2 and was thinking of doing this method.

~b

that doesnt make much sense... or at least I would think, being a living organism I would have assumed it would have a need for fresh circulating air.... being unopened for that would be nuts...

Update time!!

Update time!!

U. humboldtii (notice the stoloon that has surfaced and gone back under on the right at this angle " / "... a leaf is coming up from it :D ):

P7220012.JPG

And here is the hybrid that Rattler and I am talking about above (note; I have not changed my watering technique other than I just water quite a bit less)

P7220013.JPG

Where are you guys at?? :p :grin:

Back