What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii plug

urgggg....

this guy grows SOOOOOO slow for me. granted only starting from a couple seeds is understandable but dang... better be undergrowth... becuase from the top its very discouraging

you want to see slow? want me to post pics of my 2 year old U. alpina seedlings?

How are you guys doing? Mine has finally sprouted some leaves a few inches off of the main plug. :)

0919081946.jpg

Ooo.... can I join? Here's mine:

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

And here's how I keep it:

IMG_2670.jpg

I'd say it's spread about 5 inches since I got it, but the leaves are nowhere near as big as the ones it came with. :(

Just thought I would drop in for an update. I don't have pics...yet..but my plant is going to flower again. It was about the size of most of your plants after I gave the cuttings away; ratter, etc. It's now big again with 2 spikes from what I can see. One spike should be opening in a few weeks. I'll try to get Rob Co over here to take pics when it does.

Phil

very cool, turned mine loose recently in its own 10 gal tank half full with soil....cant wait to actually see the size of those flower stalks when not fried by the lights like mine have...

That is great news, Phil. I look forward to seeing the stalks as well. Will you have to pollinate them yourself or will the pollinators in the area do the job for you?

xvart.

xvart- I'll have to hand pollinate the flowers myself. They have a bit of a complex structure somewhat similar to that of a Paphiopedilum orchid. I've produced seed on this before and being that it is a cooler time of year I stand a better chance of getting good seed set. I'll take my standard 35mm photos of the developing stalk and buds and have these scanned after the blooms have opened and digital pics are taken.

Phil,

You rang? :) ?? Need Photos?? "DUUUUUDDEEEEEEE" LOL...

LOL, Rob...you crack me up!! You're such a DUDE yourself! Yes, I'll be needing pics when this opens up.

Yo Yo Phil, "WATTHHHUUPPP!!!"

No problem, always an honor to visit. Maybe I can take photos from "my special phone" LOL!! LOL!!! Wait, that may not be a good idea... HAHA!! (Like some other people have done...)

Anyway, If I can make it in time, perhaps you can do a step by step demonstration on pollination that we can photograph for the rest of the world to see?? I'll be sure to bring macro lenses!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Thought I would share a few photos to update since I have not posted here yet. Thanks to a trade a long time ago with Xvart and seeds from Barry/Travis I'm able to try and grow this neat plant.

I'm keeping one clone wet in a 12" diameter x 6" deep bowl with peat and live LFS starting to accumulate. I seem to only get one elevated stolon at a time.

Uhumbolt003.jpg

Uhumbolt004.jpg

Seedlings growing in a mix of LFS/peat/sand/yard weeds

Uhumbolt005.jpg

Look what I found this morning. First elevated stolon from the seed batch. Hope the weeds don't take over. I'll have to repot if they begin to.

Uhumbolt007.jpg

Nice pics. Do you guys think the temps it experiences in the wild are cold?

Could I grow it outside with temps of 45 Degrees F?

Thanks,

Nice pics. Do you guys think the temps it experiences in the wild are cold?

Could I grow it outside with temps of 45 Degrees F?

Thanks,

My guess would be warm days and cooler nights since they grow in higher elevation areas. I would think 45 degrees F during the day and night would be too cold but maybe 45 F at night occasionally would be OK as long as it got up in the 60s and 70s during the day but I'm no expert. Mine currently gets down to 55F on occasion at night.

ill have to check my Taylors but i do believe they grow in elevations from 500m to pretty high....unless you know where your particular plant came from its hard to say what temps are "normal" for that clone

Here is my update! :)

0102091259.jpg

As far as temps go- Mine sits kinda in front of my cooler... So even though it's pretty hot here most the time this plant doesn't feel it (I grow my N. lowii in the sameish spot) for winter (g/h is heated) I would say this plant is experiencing 80f days and 50f nights.

Andrew

xvart, do you know if your plant is male or female? I was reading up on them and learned they are gender specific, like Neps. Here is were I discovered that. Nice hybred cross flower pictures.
Tom

I don't think utricularia is dioecious. Some species are even cleistogamous - not even requiring the flower to open up for pollination to occur.

looks good Andy, just leave it alone to keep spreading

Brokken.....with Utrics....male and female just note which plant you harvested the pollen from and which you harvested the seed from......the plants themselves are not male or female like neps....

ill have to check my Taylors but i do believe they grow in elevations from 500m to pretty high....unless you know where your particular plant came from its hard to say what temps are "normal" for that clone

Taylor's says mostly between 1200 and 2500 meters but occasionally as low as 300 meters......

How is everyone's plants? Any updates?

Back