Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U. calcyfida leaves looking burnt

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U. calcyfida leaves looking burnt

Out of all my plants on the rack, including sundews, butterworts, and bladderworts, I have 2 containers of U. calcyfida whose leaves are looking burnt along the edges. I can't think of a reason why this species alone is reacting. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine also does this. if the soil even goes slightly dry the leaves brown all around the edges.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps bad media? Mine have nasty stuff in their soil and they're almost dead. I think I'll change it out sometime soon...

Aren't terrestrial utrics known for wanting soil change more than most other carnivorous plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    other way around AFAIK
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    terrestrial Utrics dont need soil changed any more often than any other Cp however if they are over crowded for to long they are likely to crash and you'll loose the whole pot. happens rather fast to on occasion. fast growing Utrics like livida and sandersonii(though sandersonii isnt to prone to crashing) should be divided every 6 months if grown in a 4 inch pot or smaller. it gives them more room to spread, encourages flowering and gives you trade bait if nothing else. slower growing species prolly every 18 months to 2 years. though there are few that grow that slow. if the Utric doesnt look over crowded in the pot than all is prolly fine. some species also need to get a lil crowded to encourage flowering. U. uniflora i noticed tend to takes a long time to settle in and flower, though doesnt seem as fast growing as some like livida. it took about a year for it to settle in and bloom in a 4 inch pot for me. flowers were worth the wait though. basically unpot them on occasion and check, if there isnt much room for new stolon growth(and some Utrics will only grow in the top few centimeters of the soil) its time to divide......if there is room the can be left alone.

Jim............could be a sudden temporary drop in humidity, cold draft, the leaves are just getting old......could be alot of things........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weird thing is that I have the species in two separate pots, under the same environmental conditions as all the other plants on the rack. All of the other utrics look fine. It does experience drafts when the glass door gets opened briefly, but doesn't ever dry out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it all the leaves, including new young ones or just the big ones?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Older, larger leaves and only this species, both pots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast