User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Aldrovanda Pond in Northern NJ (USA)

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow is right! I now completely understand your method of grwoing them that you were telling me about!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve,

Great to hear from you here!

Yupper! This is the site I wanted to show you!

I happen to notice that you are one of the masters of micro-photography! I'm only 30 mins from the Delaware Water Gap Bridge on Rt. 80. My son attends East Stroudsburg Univeristy.

I hope to meet up with you again this season in the NJ Pine Barrens!

- Rich
    No, I'm not suffering from insanity! ... rather enjoying it, actually!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should mention here that I am in 100%, wholehearted and total agreement with Barry Rice in that pristine forests, waterways, and natural habitats should remain pure of their original ecosystems and biosphere. I would never attempt or recommend introducing these plants into such places; those sites that contain native CP, ferns and orchids, are in my view "sacred grounds", and altering them in any way is a sacrilege.

However, there is a case to be made for farming these plants in areas that have already been cleared for development, just like any other farmer who grows crops that originate elsewhere.

The fears and concerns that they may go feral, and become yet another noxious invasive exotic, reeking havoc with the indigenous species, is in my opinion greatly overrated and unfounded. Observing them in this site over the last eight years or so, and how they only occupy a very specific and narrow niche, and nothing else, leads me to believe that even if some birds were to consume some seed of this, or managed to transport a few strands to another more pristine site, those Aldrovanda strands would most likely either go into decline and die off if ALL their requirements are not fully satisfied, OR, they would find themselves restricted to those few isolated places where they are satisfied, and still be a pretty rare find. They quickly go into decline if they drift off into deeper waters, or more shaded conditions where the temperature drops below their optimal range.

- Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    super amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dang! I would love to have a pond like that!
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Capensis!

I think Antarctica might be a little too cool for them, maybe. It would be interesting to see how they would grow in constant sunlight for a few months, but they need the water temps to hover around 85F, and seem to flower when the temps go over 90F before Spring Solstice. But with Global Warming and all, who knows! ...

- Rich

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich,
    Thanks for the comment on my photography.

I think I'll be making 2 trips this year to the Pine Barrens. 1 for boating and one to do some macro photography.
    I'll be sure to let you know when I plan to head over there.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story and pictures Rich! What county and town are you from in New Jersey? I lived in Hawthorne (Bergen County, close to Glen Rock, Ridgewood, Paramus, etc) for pretty much my whole life. I still frequently visit.
    -Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast