Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Utrics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wild Utrics?

In the public lake near my house, I think there might be some kind of Utrics in the swampy area. It looks like a picture I saw. So does a bunch of these plants that I keep finding on my hook when I go fishing. What I was wondering is, would it be ok to pick a peice of it and grow it? I read that they're invasive or something, and this one thread said it would probably be ok to pick some, but I don't want to pick anything that's endangered. It's a public lake so I don't know who to ask permission from, if there is anyone. Plus I don't know what kind of Utric it is, if it is one.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're in a public lake that does'nt have a sign prohibiting collection of the plants, and are in a general abundance, I'd say that collection of the plants is not illegal, Utrics or not. Just don't take truckloads and you should be fine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, but I'd like a few more opinions to confirm, I don't want to get in trouble or anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Description? Pic, maybe? How do flowers look like?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

A windowsill grower elsantaclause's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since its a public lake and no sign saying you can't its seems fine. I have done this before and even showed the park ranger when he asked me and he said it was fine as long I don't take anything that is posted up on walls or signs that say I can't take a certain thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whos to say you didnt just leave your fishing trip with some stuck to your hook?

get us a picture!

~billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I'll try (try) to get a picture. It's night right now, and I am absolutely NOT going on that lake alone at night. It's scary as crap. So for now, I'll describe it. I saw a green strand of something with a bunch of needle like... things growing outward all over it. There's no flower. It grows in the swampy area near the lily pads at the shore. It looks like a picture I saw of some kind of Utric. Oh also, I'm not sure if this was a Utric or not, but back in Washington there was this lake with a sign that said something like, "Help us get rid of this plant. It is invasive and tangles boats and fishers and stuff"... Something like that. There's no sign about it here, nothing about taking it or not taking it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My little brother has a fast-frowing plant like that in his aquarium. It's called Ceratophyllum. But there are a lot of other aquatic plants that look very similar to it and would match your description, including Cabomba, Myriophyllum, Parrot Feather, and even Elodea.

Snap a pic for us to be sure!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast