What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shipping utricularia

Nitecrawler

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior
How do you ship sloshy utricularia?

I have a bunch in a cup I want to ship, but am worried about when the package is upside-down.

I use an old kitchen knife, cut out a plug, wrap it in a damp paper towel, put that in a baggie, pack in box, pad with peanuts, write live plants on box, ship. :)
Andrew

edit- or do you mean like U. gibba?

They actually aren't plugs just yet...it's the u. humboldtii that I got from Travis.

They are seedlings!..

I would do it the same way.... If you plan on sending the whole thing, I'd let it dry to damp... and wrap the whole thing in paper towel etc etc

Best way to ship humbo seedlings is to take a paper towel and get it wet then wring it out so that it is damp and not sodden. Flatten it out and fold it in quarters so you can have defined quadrants then open it back out. Now, using a pair of forceps, pluck the seedlings individually and lay them in the center of one of the quadrants. once you have all the ones you are shipping on the paper towel fold it back up. Place the folded towel in a ziplock, place the ziplock in a small package of peanuts and send it out.

Back