Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Utricularia graminifolia - My Experiences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watnazn View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is grit?

Not at all, items sometimes have different names in different countries and this could be the case here. It's a coarse grade quartzite sand consisting of particle sizes of approx 5mm down. It's often used in cacti and succulents soil mixes. It's available in washed hortcultural, lime free grade here in the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    It is next to a window which receives good light but no direct sun, there is also a suplimentary 70W metal halide light which is on for 14 hours/day but it covers a large area so intensity is quite low.
    Mobile,
    Thanks for sharing your impressive results with this species.

Any idea what temps the plant sees in summer / winter? How long has it been growing undisturbed in the same pot?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Mobile,
    Thanks for sharing your impressive results with this species.

Any idea what temps the plant sees in summer / winter? How long has it been growing undisturbed in the same pot?
    I live in northern Scotland, right on the North coast, so the temperatures are never very high. They rarely get past mid-twenties celcius during the summer and the room would get down into the mid-teens celcius in the winter. I'm not too sure how long the plant has been in the pot but I would guess that it was around about the beginning of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it is daylength? Mine are starting to send up flower stems now. These are just little plugs that have only been growing about nine months. I don't grow them totally submerged but pretty wet with the water level about halfway up the side.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just been growing mine as a terrestrial in 50/50 peat/sand. I normally keep the water level about half way or less up the pot (4 inch tall). Grown out doors on a covered west facing balcony, so only about 4-6 hours of direct sunlight.

It normally tries to flower around this time of year. The flowers aborted last year.

It was doing great until moss started taking over the center of the pot:

It was in a white "cottage cheese" container which I just now exchanged for a transparent container as the tray. It might do better as an aquatic, but this is the reason I keep my Utricularia isolated with individual "trays". The stolon can spread to other pots via drain holes.

I guess I should pull out the Drosera capensis since the roots get massive.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine gets no daylength variation, so that may be it, or it could be the near constant pruning. Its never "crowded".

Here is a good example of a Utric. escape artist. I never planted this plant in that worm feeder, nor did this Utric ever grow into the water column more than like 1-2 inches from its little shelf, nor has it flowered to set seeds. But it did manage to travel about a foot and up 2 inches and then grow in the sphagnum moss, then root down through it and this morning I noticed the second picture.....bad plant . Get out of my water!!!

P.S. Some Utric's were harmed in the filming of this material. They were removed from there happy waterly home and relocated against their will to another location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are deffinately not crowded so i don't think that is an issue. They have always reliably flowered during the Summer for me. So it seems pretty certain to me that it requires long days to flower. The question though is does it require a short photoperiod to prepare it for flowering during long days. I have also never had it flower underwater, It grows very well submerged but the flowers always come from the plant that is above water, while the water tray is filled with submerged plant and no flowers.

How long do you have the lights on?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Mine are deffinately not crowded so i don't think that is an issue. They have always reliably flowered during the Summer for me. So it seems pretty certain to me that it requires long days to flower. The question though is does it require a short photoperiod to prepare it for flowering during long days. I have also never had it flower underwater, It grows very well submerged but the flowers always come from the plant that is above water, while the water tray is filled with submerged plant and no flowers.

How long do you have the lights on?
    This tank the lights are on approx. 11 hours, I have others ranging from 10 to 14 hours. They are all stable thou, they all get the same amount of light per day year round.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast