Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia graminifolia - My Experiences

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I'd add a few more photo's.

This batch is growing on top of some pond mud and driftwood, and no Flowers

There are orchids under that mess...This setup is using warm bulbs since I had them, and is why the color's are off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope mine will look that good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we moved that tank has been torn down and has been returned to my wife and now is home to some tiny shrimp that UG might actually be able to eat the babies

I finally got around to setting up a new U. graminifolia grow-up area about a month ago and so far everything is moving along about like I would expect it too. The UG is starting to settle in and I'm getting a lot of random grasses/algae. Once the UG gets going the grasses and algae should because a non issue. The water is usually crystal clear but I was just playing around in there removing the grasses/whatnot.

Right now its about at the maximum water level I plan to keep it at, I plan to allow the water to very slowly drop until the top 1/4 to 1/2 of the mud in completely above water.

I would have preferred very flat pieces of driftwood over the mud medium and I may add them later as I run across them. Although the filter medium I'm using to keep the mud out of the "sump pump" area is growing UG pretty well so I may cut a few pieces of that and see how that works. The goal of this setup is easy harvesting and reseeding for sale to the aquarium crowd to fund my plant addiction ur hobby. That and having a mat of UG around the house is nice to look at. I know from experience that good quality driftwood or the mud I'm using works really well for this. The filter medium may be another option.

Full setup under 2 T5 24" lights.

DSC_0832 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

There is a large false bottom under about 1" of mud/sand/laterite mix. I still need to add more mud but it got cold and I need to use the hose outside, did I mention its cold out there?

DSC_0833 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Standard aquarium pump with a splitter. I've always had much better growth with UG in moderately fast moving water.

DSC_0834 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Small starter clump that is perking up nicely.

DSC_0831 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my love/hate relationship with this plant continues.

3 years + some change since my last stalk...I'm not convinced its a stalk and not just some random weed yet it looks a little different than the last ones.

DSC_0110 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

As usual I have no problem getting this stuff to expand, almost 3 months of growth.

DSC_0111 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, what kind of mud are you using? It looks like clay to me. And are those green patches algae? Really interesting setup and I hope that is a flower stalk.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a pond mud we picked up while living in Japan many years ago, a lot of the terrestrial Utrics love the stuff. We haven't found anything similar in the States. It is an actual mud, it will mix with the water enough to pass through a mess screen then when dry form a dense block. It does remind me a lot of clay. The packaging is well...in Japanese and we never learned enough to make sense of it.

Probably the best thing about this mud stuff is come harvest time, I just grab a corner and pull it up like carpet! The UG doesn't root down into the mud. There is always enough small pieces and parts left on the bottom for reseeding. A quick rinse in some clean water and off it goes to its new home.

Those green patches are a mix of algaes and other assorted bad things, I have been removing some of it manually. The mud used in this setup was recycled from many prior tanks so there is some "seed" material in there and a lot more decaying material than normal. In the past the UG has out competed the algae over time and just grew over it and smothered it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I'm adding some of this UG to the NASC auction this year I'll post the photos for growth reference here also. The more dense parts are starting to out compete the algae/whatnot growing in there.

DSC_0174 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
    The more open areas are still a playground for algaes/whatnot.

DSC_0175 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
    Front View

DSC_0176 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some photos from today. Keep in mind this is at most 1-2m of care/maintenance per month.

Here is the section I removed for the NASC auction already starting to regrown in.

Utricularia graminifolia by randallsimpson, on Flickr

In the middle of that bump is about 1" thick.

Full tank shot.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast