Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U. reinformis stress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U. reinformis stress

Hello - I am new to the forum and have some questions regarding U. reinformis. I purchased a plant which arrived one week ago. The day it arrived, the temps here were about 18 degrees, however, the plant itself felt about 40 degrees. I promptly put it in a highland terrarium where I have thriving Cephalotus and a Nepenthes hamata (temp range is 60 to 75 degrees). The plant is about six inches below two fluorescent daylight tubes. The soil appears to be a 50/50 peat pearlite mix that has remained wet but not waterlogged. The second night I noticed a very small slug crawling on the single leaf and removed it. The single leaf is beginning to yellow at the point where it meets the stem.

My questions are:

Are these proper growing conditions? I am inclined to repot the plant so I can see what is under the soil, however, I don't want to stress the plant any more than it already is. Based on what I have read on the forum, I am inclined to plant it in Sphagnum, small orchid bark, peat and perlite, is this a better growing medium for these plants?

I have added a link to a photo in hopes that this will help solve my problem. The yellowing is slightly more pronounced in person. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse. Any information is appreciated. Chuck

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lambdlt...7604033642861/
    Last edited by lambdlth; 12-02-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: link to photo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these bigger Utrics like reniformis quite often dump the leaves that were there when you first get them and throw up ones better suited to your conditions.........wouldnt worry bout it yet......give it a month or so before panicking, in with your highlanders is fine.....as far as "proper growing conditions" your guess is as good as mine......have had an individual plant for bout 4 years....always grows but never seems truly happy.....never seen a flower......ive grown it in peat, LFS over perlite, currently its in Schultz APS and LFS, orchid bark mix which it seems a bit happier..........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, Chuck.

I'd leave it be if I were you. My mix is about as dense as yours, plus, I've seen much more underground growth with a denser mix for some reason.

Water it maybe once a week, no more, cause these guys hate wet feet. That's actually what forced mine to dormancy last year.

If you really want to give it exact temps, keep it in the 70's and have a 10 to 15 degree temp drop at night.

If you ever want to see flowers, it'll need a significant drop during the winter to flower (maybe around 50F / lower), AND it needs to be pot-bound. But that'll probably be a year or more for yours.

Hey, you're a pretty good photographer! Some of those pics on flickr are really nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a thread with pics of some of my utrics: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112802

My reniformis is doing much better now, still has three leaves it made this fall, but the largest is as big as my palm (I kinda have big hands - almost 10in spread out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water it maybe once a week, no more, cause these guys hate wet feet.
    this isnt a rule......infact mine is doing its best right now with wet feet.....but it hated wet feet in the peat mix......but its loving it in the APS/LFS/Orchid bark mix...........this species and tricolor tweak me out to no end on trying to sort out what they like versus what they tolerate.......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. Didn't want the plant to die before it even had a chance. One detail I left out was I had it in a very shallow saucer which I have removed. I will begin watering overhead weekly. If any improvements or changes happen, I will add it to the thread. Also, thanks for the compliment to my photos on flickr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    this isnt a rule......infact mine is doing its best right now with wet feet.....but it hated wet feet in the peat mix......but its loving it in the APS/LFS/Orchid bark mix...........this species and tricolor tweak me out to no end on trying to sort out what they like versus what they tolerate.......
    Since he's growing it in peat/perlite, once a week probably the best way to water it.

That's interesting that you use APS. I know what you mean about tricolor. Mine died shortly after I received it.

Lambdlth - Good luck! I hope to see pics in spring!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - Today I was looking at this plant and saw the stolon was looking a little mushy at the soil level, and with a gentle tug it came right out of the soil. Couldn't help myself and unpotted it to see what exactly was under the surface. I have three healthy looking rhizome/tubers, about an inch long, which I am going to repot. They have very few roots and no traps.

Advice please, should I allow the plant a dormancy or should I care for it as usual. I think I am going to repot it a more open media and practice the shallow tray (wet feet) method, only because the mush concerned me.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I just located an older thread addressing this same question: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...light=dormancy
    Thought I would include this for others seeking similar advice.
    Last edited by lambdlth; 12-07-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Found similar thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast