What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea size

I am guessing that Genlisea come in many different sizes. I recently received Genlisea lobata x violacea. The single rosette is approximately 1/2" across. My question is, what is the average size of these plants under good cultivation and do they have an "age" when they become blooming size?

yours is likely blooming size and they dont get very big but they will form a carpet of plants like Utrics...

some, and i forget if that hybrid is one, will put out some ungodly long flower stalks......had a nearly foot long flower stalk out of one at one point

I ordered one of those from a cp vendor about 4 years ago. It never showed up. :(

Hey, if you ever get spares, please keep me in mind. ;) I've made dozens of Hispidulas just by breaking off the underground traps and planting them under about a centimeter of soil.

Hey Jeff - I will definitely keep you in mind. I just got this plant a week ago so all parts are pretty limited. I am thinking of ordering one more and dismantling it for propagation purposes. It would be a fun experiment for me. Might have to wait 'till Spring though as we are now in the single digits.

On this note, about how quickly can they multiply?

fast......give them some time, they spread via the traps, whenever they grow near the surface a new plant pops up......if left alone for 6 months a 4 inch pot will likely be "root bound"

Guess what...the plant crashed into a pile of mush one week after arrival. On day three it quickly started browning. I think the it went into shock from the wide temp swing during delivery then to the terrarium. I did a quick surgical procedure where I was able to extract one healthy looking trap (the bulbous part, or digestive chamber). I placed it in a shallow ravine, not covering it but keeping it wet on all sides, the top being exposed to the light. I have placed it about three inches from the tubes and am hoping for the best. I am obsessive, so I will most likely be checking it hourly and misting if necessary.

Does this sound good? Learned something here, don't get too excited too fast. They are awesome little plants though, and it is difficult not to.

Hmm... I would have kept more than just the digestive chamber part to propagate, but if that's all that was left - it might work.

Back