What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
[EDIT: I just realized a lot of these photos are blurry from the wind, sorry.]

Thought I'd post an update here.

Despite what many people say about these plants, they all grow quite fast for me. I'm growing them mostly live sphag, with the exception of my reniformis (not shown here) and alpina.

U. alpina "Pittier's Moon":

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

Surprise! It grew all the way out of the bottom of its pot!

IMG_3088.jpg

U. nelumbifolia:

IMG_3078.jpg

A cool stolon:

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

Overhead shot of U. quelchii:

IMG_3075.jpg

More shots:

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

A hybrid, U. quelchii x praetermissa:

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

Another hybrid, U. humboldtii x quelchii. This one hasn't made many big leaves for me, but has put out at least a dozen runners/ stolons since I got it. Kinda like the humboldtii I have:

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

Here's a nice ping that's flowering for me!:

IMG_3049.jpg

Thanks for looking! :-D

30 looks and no comments? How rude! Geeat job with them all. I've never had an Aphrodite flower for me. Do you use pure LFS or is that a topdressing?

I'm jealous. I don't have a digital camera with macro OR nice-looking Utrics, so I'm left out for this one. ;D
~Joe

Whoops... I guess it does look a little like LFS. You're talking about the ping right? It's actually some sort of vermiculite/perlite/peat/sand mix that has broken down over the course of a year and a half.

Thanks guys.

Wow- that U. nelumbifolia is awesome, I love that! And I'd love to get my hands on some, great job on all of it! (even the ping :D )
Andrew

Hey Andrew, I believe I have a spare division. Let me know if you're still interested when spring rolls around.

Thanks Jeff that sounds great! I have a few things I see missing from your list. Mayhaps we can make it a nice sized trade if you have other stuff available too... I can start with some D. scorpiodes gemmae (now) if you're interested in having it again. Am I "Andy the moderator" that you got it from last time? :p
Andrew

Yes, you are. :) The U. nelumbifolia devision is putting out its 4th leaf this week.

I will have a lot of other plants available - yeah, I'd love to trade! Don't worry about the scorpiodes, I'm actually more interested in utrics now, and pings that I'll use to trade for utrics.

I also have an excess of medium-sized D. schizandra.

Thanks!

Jeff,

Very nice plants and pictures. I really wish there were more posts about Utricularia. Someday I would really like to expand my Utricularia collection, and your pictures are a nice testament to how nice a collection can be. Thanks for sharing.

xvart.

:drool: We'll definitely have to talk :) heh

My temps are dang near always acceptable... So get in touch when yours are better. I'll try to remember too in case I don't hear from you though. ;)

Andrew

Jeff,

Very nice plants and pictures. I really wish there were more posts about Utricularia. Someday I would really like to expand my Utricularia collection, and your pictures are a nice testament to how nice a collection can be. Thanks for sharing.

xvart.

Please send me a pm a couple years from now. Lol.

I'm sure I'll have spares then. I will have spares of some terrestrials this spring, if you want.

Thanks guys!

Very Nice Utricularias you have there! I would so want to trade you for them:) Jealous

here is some of mine.....

humboldti in its 10 gallon(with a couple orchids hanging out....a D. prolifera also lives in this tank)
IMG_0907.jpg

U. alpina seedlings from a particularly large clone....for the first 2 years these seedlings stayed about the size of livida....in the last 3 months or so some have put on a huge growth spurt
IMG_0906.jpg

and for those that think reniformis hates wet feet.......basically growing as an affixed aquatic out the bottom of the pot......
IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Very nice rattler! From here it looks like there is more growth out of the bottom of that pot than the top? What's the media?

Andrew

handful of large leaves out the top.....massive amounts of growth around the bottom.....soil mainly Schultz APS with some LFS......prolly a 4-1 mix.......have actually seen the most amount of top growth out of this mix than any previously tried mix over the last 4 years.......this is the first time its done the affixed aquatic thing aswell though it has had the oppertunity to do this in several other mixes.....

Hey rattler - My division of humboldtii is still throwing out small leaves. Maybe I'll put it out in the greenhouse a few days? Yours always looks so nice!

I've never seen a reniformis growing that way! Really cool.

I've seen pics of geminiloba that sometimes have flowers and leaves coming out the bottom - I'm gonna try to get one of those.

this one throws out smallish leaves aswell........wouldnt worry bout it to much.....main thing seems to be to give the underground growth lots of room to run.....seems quite happy in the 10 gallon.....there is another division that looks like the one pictured on the near side of the tank thats not pictured

Nah, my leaves are like 1/5 the size of yours, and about 1/2 of them are lobed!

I'm growing it in 1/2 peat, 1/2 rose granite, turkey grit. I think there might be a few pieces of orchid bark in there too. Its topped wtih sphag, just like yours.

Hey, do you still have that aureomaculata? How's it doing?

Back