Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: does gibba need peat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a gibba-like Utric. in many tanks, in fact some fish people will tell you how bits of it ride in with other plants from commercial suppliers and just take off as weeds in their tanks. It seems to float around aimlessly as an unaffixed plant just eating and growing. Could this be macrorhiza? Isn't it really similar looking? I grew it for some time quite successfully in a bowl of water 4" deep with a fistful of peat settled in the bottom. Strangely however, I have recently found it growing in a slow moving creek here in central Texas, which is absolute limestone country. It's possible that the water is slightly acidic from dead leaves but the bed was of limestone so... I think this Utric. is a hardy weed, although when I put a chunk in my outdoor bog it fizzled (I think it was too much of a light shock going into full sun)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by throckmoron View Post
    I have seen a gibba-like Utric. in many tanks, in fact some fish people will tell you how bits of it ride in with other plants from commercial suppliers and just take off as weeds in their tanks. It seems to float around aimlessly as an unaffixed plant just eating and growing. Could this be macrorhiza? Isn't it really similar looking? I grew it for some time quite successfully in a bowl of water 4" deep with a fistful of peat settled in the bottom. Strangely however, I have recently found it growing in a slow moving creek here in central Texas, which is absolute limestone country. It's possible that the water is slightly acidic from dead leaves but the bed was of limestone so... I think this Utric. is a hardy weed, although when I put a chunk in my outdoor bog it fizzled (I think it was too much of a light shock going into full sun)
    so, basically, they do not need peat, just an acidic source?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mine in my CP "tray", sharing space with Endlers. They didn't seem to have any ill effects on the utric. It might actually be beneficial in case you have algae mixed in. The fish might do the utric a favor by eating the algae. Mollys are more the algae eating type, though. Just a thought...

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was at the greenhouse yesterday so I pulled out the trusty camera phone and took some pictures of what I have going on with my U. gibba.... This is the small dish I have it in inside...

and here is the outside thing showing explosive growth and over all much better activity. It spread very fast once I introduced it! The water is probably close to a foot deep maybe just less than that. The pictures don't do justice for how much is in there....

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me that aquatic utrics like this share similar habitats as do Aldrovanda.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    aldrovandra is what I built this set up for... although haven't had a chance to appropriately test it out. It has been said the container is too small to support aldrovandra for longer than a short period, but I can't help want to try it out still
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that Aldrovanda goes with the Phragmites. I'll be doing pretty much the same next year when I obtain replacements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Ph and light issues are more important that having the plant affixed. After all, there are no roots. Mine went crazy in a white dishpan placed outside in broken sunlight under a bush. The peat surely helped keep the acidity up, but the plant itself just floated becoming more massive over time. I think that fish will eat your plant so be careful there.

Hey, this is post 5,555 for me......cool!
    Last edited by Tamlin Dawnstar; 01-12-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: addendum
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast