What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new to Utrics

S_Oregon_CP

Bio is my life!
I have been growing utrics for about 2 months or so now thanks to RSS in a trade. here they are in a pic taken yesterday

P2140160.jpg

P2140162.jpg

P2140164.jpg

Any suggestions?

Er suggestions for?

I don't see any U. nephrophylla growing in pic 2. The U. subulata most likely strangled it...

Its overgrown by LFS but there are several flower stalks coming up and they are about to flower. It is hard to see them in the picture. but I did just recieve these in a trade last month. I hear utrics are very much like that. The suggestions I was hoping for was YOU ARE NOT GROWING EM RIGHT or you need to keep the media more dry or they can grow outdoors in oregon? things like that lol

The U. sandersonii and hmm U. graminifolia? look happy. I find U. graminifolia likes to be somewhat wetter than most and does well kept partially submerged. U. sandersonii is pretty easy.. just keep em wet. Many Utric growers will grow their plants in deep trays then fill the trays and let the water level go down significantly before filling it back up.

I am a bit curious as to why the plugs are noticeably higher. It shouldn't matter though since the Utrics are quite capable of migrating into the new media.

With respect to U. nephrophylla, U. nephrophllya has these little almost heart shaped 'leaves'. All I can see are the narrow elongated U. subulata.

Growing outdoors in Oregon? I don't see why not but I think you need to be more specific. Do you mean in pots and trays? All year? Outdoor bog?

U. sandersonii blue is a challenging colony to flower. They and gramminifolia do like be waterlogged. I would recommend wetter media, with lots of light, and at last room temp. They DO flower... even for me:

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

nephro = kidney in greek, referring to the shape of the leaves, and im with Tony as not seeing any nephrophylla leaves....though there is defiantly a Utric in the pot, the nephrophylla leaves should be larger than the Utric thats there....

as for growing them, as Tony says, keep them wet and they will be happy..........

Wow, RSS gave you a lot!

I wouldn't grow them outside. Any tropicals/sub-tropicals, even binatas/capensis die even when they're planted in a bog.... [EDIT] in Oregon.

Back