What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's an easy method to separate mixed terrestrial Utricularia. It's especially helpful when weedy plants like subulata and bisquamata have infested a pot of other Utrics. I started using this to separate Utricularia colonies which come in from nurseries, where subulata and bisquamata are common weeds. The only trick is that you'll have to wait for the Utric you want to separate to flower.

When your intended plant sends up flower scapes, let them get good and big. For a lot of Utrics, they'll put on several flowers per scape. You may want to mark your targets with pieces of tape, in case the flowers drop before you can get to them. Grab each scape near the base, and gently tug it from the growing medium. Most of the time, you'll get a bit if white tissue at the base. If you're really lucky, you'll get a few attached stolons and nodes. Gently rinse the pulled flower scapes in tap or distilled water to separate any unwanted weed seeds and plant material.

Prepare a pot of fresh growing medium. Use a toothpick to make a narrow hole for each pulled flower scape. Gently push the scapes into the holes, to a depth close to their original growing depth. Use the toothpick or a spray bottle to push the potting medium around their bases, making sure not to damage the new "plantlets." Within a few weeks to a few months, you should start to see new stolons pushing up through the potting medium. I sometimes get as much as 50% die-off, but there's usually enough growth to start a whole new colony of the desired plants.

I've used this with great success to separate U. livida, U. bisquamata, and U. pubescens. Trials will woon be underway on U. microcalyx. Thanks for reading. Best of luck!

Hmm, very intersting. So basically, you get the scape of the utric that was infested by the invasive utrics and take cuttings of the flower? Never knew you could do that. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent!

Nice observation.

Last month I realized that most of the growth on my U. dichotoma was around the base of the flower. Makes sense to start pulling there.

I was blind and didn't realize I could use the old flower stalks my U. dichotoma had. So what you're saying is that it should be like this?
SN853414.jpg

SN853415.jpg

Most of them had "roots", others white bases. One the healthiest stalk, I was able to snag two dichotoma leaves.

Yup, that's exactly how I've done it. It takes a bit, but it looks like you've got a lot of plant material there for starters. Just leave the stems there until they die back. The plants ough to start putting up new leaves in a month or two. All the growth happens underground for a while.

Back