Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning U.Gibba container

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been growing U. resupinata and it gets that film on the surface of the water. I blast it with a spray bottle and that keeps it at bay. I find the spray bottle also makes very little disturbance to the peat below the water level, keeping the water fairly clear so you can see the bladders. I have had no problems with algae, probably due to the acidity caused by the peat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Oh, algae. I don't think you can prevent algae
    It is difficult to prevent algae from spreading and taking over if there is a little already in the jar/area.

Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    it won't harm the U. gibba.
    Absolutely not. Algae can choke out an entire colony of gibba... I've lost several containers full of U. gibba because of it.

Ken - since you live in a warm climate the algae will grow faster. At least for me, the higher the temps, the faster the U. gibba grows -- along with the algae.

If you're very concerned, you can tear off a piece of U. gibba from your main colony wash it thoroughly and put it in a new container.

Hope all goes well... but if it doesn't, you can just get some more of the stuff. There's no shortage of it.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff is right - algae is bad. The smaller your container, the worse it is. In the wild there's stuff that keeps it in check, but not so in cultivation. My trick for small Utric specimens is to take the whole colony out of the water, change the water and scrub out anything on the container, then spray the Utric with water on an inclined surface like a large bowl. The algae falls away easily, leaving you with clean, more-or-less intact Utric stolons. It doesn't look quite as pristine as wild-grown colonies, I'm sure, but it's a good way to bulk up a small clump until it's big enough to take care of itself. If you use a container with peat or something as a substrate, you may want to skip cleaning the container and just do a water change, as I suppose you might get some beneficial critters living in there eventually.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi so you mean that layer on top is algae or watAnyways i just added water in my container with bottled ROwater..

Ken
    Well i have a growlist her but anyways heres mine in another forum.

http://www.forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=1119

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without seeing it I can't be sure, but you probably have some algae growing on the top. If it's green and gooey and not fibrous, then it's algae, not a Utric. If you take it out of the container and spray it with water and it dissolves, then it's algae, not a Utric. If it looks fluffy and translucent and kind of like snot while underwater, then it's algae, not a Utric.
    Making aquatic Utrics happy without a pond or other natural waterway to raise them in requires some observation and persistence. Watch yours carefully, prod at it occasionally and read up on it (and ask questions - just helps if they're specific questions.) Hopefully somebody has easier advice than mine and will chime in, but I've been growing these plants for a while now and this is the best I know.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12