Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: U. livida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I waited about 2 months and i saw nothing coming through the holes. I have read that it's necessary to cover the container so that it is pitch black in order for the traps to come through. I'm not sure on how credible that is but I will have to try again sometime soon and with other Utrics now that I have a couple more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that on mine, when I accidentally pull them out, the the root(trap) isn't that long, but I'm not too sure because I got the plant a couple of months ago. I would think that they would grow on the surface in your case, or it would take a very long time for them to get to the bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually didnt grow on the surface and had a very extensive network of traps but that may just be due to how fast livida spreads. They had easily reached the bottom of the green pot in the picture which is only a 4 inch by 4 inch pot but none of the traps wanted to go into the water. Like I said next up on my trial list is the darkness experiment to see how true that statement really is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Yann,

My own experience with Livida is that it'll grow just about anywhere. Like most other common utrics they like to be flooded ocassionally, but for the most part they're a hardy beast. Sweet setup though!
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think a cover around the water jar is more to encourage root extension than it is to prevent algae. ive done this with U. longifolia and it worked pretty well but for some reason i stopped doing it. i cant find my pictures either... the shorter the pot the better the results =]

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    i think a cover around the water jar is more to encourage root extension than it is to prevent algae. ive done this with U. longifolia and it worked pretty well but for some reason i stopped doing it. i cant find my pictures either... the shorter the pot the better the results =]

Alex
    I'll give it a go with longifolia as well and compare the two. Sounds like the darkness does have an effect on causing the traps to extend out. As far as controlling algae I read somewhere adding a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide helps keep the count down and I have to say it wasnt a nuissance like it usually is. I'll be trying one batch with the H2O2 treatment and I'll do the other without. We'll see if there is any difference. Though I imagine if there is any difference it will be a couple days after I remove the coverings.
    Glider: What did you use as a cover around the jar? I was thinking of using black construction paper for mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used aluminum foil. i didnt have any black construction paper at the time haha. they will both work though.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting I got a U. livida last weekend but I like it the way it is it has about 10 flower stalks on it!!! It looks very nice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast