What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. livida

Hi received my first Utric a few weeks back from Jeff_Forever (Thanks Jeff!!) and I thought I'd share what I've done with it.
I got this idea from the Savage Garden, hopefully this works just as well.
I used an empty plastic container (pistachio container -- I like them to Bella lol) and cut out the top to fit the pot. Hopefully from what I saw online and in the book the traps will go through the holes in the bottom of the pot and be viewable through the plastic. I added a few drops of H2O2 to prevent algal growth as well. If i'm correct i'm seeing flower stalks come up already so I'll post some pics soon as well! Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Well I think Livida is more of a terrestrial Utric, and the savage garden used this with a corkscrew, interesting. Great job!

Yes you're right carn, the idea was used with Genlisea, but I found a site where someone had done the same with Utricularia. I still have have medium in the pot but from my understanding the traps are only made in areas where there is constant water. (Someone correct please if i'm wrong) That way I still have the needed medium and hopefully the traps will develop in the water underneath! cross my fingers!

You're welcome, Yann!

Traps do not only form where there is constant water. They're basically almost always there. The macro/ epiphytic species NEVER have their stolons submerged in constant water.

But your livida should do just fine. I've never heard of using Hydrogen peroxide to keep algae away -- I suppose it would work.

Congrats on the flower stalks!

But your livida should do just fine. I've never heard of using Hydrogen peroxide to keep algae away -- I suppose it would work.

I've never tried it myself but I've heard it works quite well, I just didnt want to have to make a cover to wrap around the base and stop light from entering, I'll let you know how well it work lol :p

I believe elgecko did something similar & posted about it - some time ago (although it may have been Genlisea)...

Yep, it's on elgecko's site. (Here)

Good luck with your new plant!

That looks really nice, I might try it. I have the book and the plant, and I thought that picture was very interesting.

Post if it works!!

Well I waited about 2 months and i saw nothing coming through the holes. I have read that it's necessary to cover the container so that it is pitch black in order for the traps to come through. I'm not sure on how credible that is but I will have to try again sometime soon and with other Utrics now that I have a couple more.

I was thinking that on mine, when I accidentally pull them out, the the root(trap) isn't that long, but I'm not too sure because I got the plant a couple of months ago. I would think that they would grow on the surface in your case, or it would take a very long time for them to get to the bottom.

They actually didnt grow on the surface and had a very extensive network of traps but that may just be due to how fast livida spreads. They had easily reached the bottom of the green pot in the picture which is only a 4 inch by 4 inch pot but none of the traps wanted to go into the water. Like I said next up on my trial list is the darkness experiment to see how true that statement really is.

Hey Yann,

My own experience with Livida is that it'll grow just about anywhere. Like most other common utrics they like to be flooded ocassionally, but for the most part they're a hardy beast. Sweet setup though! :)

i think a cover around the water jar is more to encourage root extension than it is to prevent algae. ive done this with U. longifolia and it worked pretty well but for some reason i stopped doing it. i cant find my pictures either... the shorter the pot the better the results =]

Alex

i think a cover around the water jar is more to encourage root extension than it is to prevent algae. ive done this with U. longifolia and it worked pretty well but for some reason i stopped doing it. i cant find my pictures either... the shorter the pot the better the results =]

Alex

I'll give it a go with longifolia as well and compare the two. Sounds like the darkness does have an effect on causing the traps to extend out. As far as controlling algae I read somewhere adding a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide helps keep the count down and I have to say it wasnt a nuissance like it usually is. I'll be trying one batch with the H2O2 treatment and I'll do the other without. We'll see if there is any difference. Though I imagine if there is any difference it will be a couple days after I remove the coverings.
Glider: What did you use as a cover around the jar? I was thinking of using black construction paper for mine.

i used aluminum foil. i didnt have any black construction paper at the time haha. they will both work though.

Alex

Very interesting I got a U. livida last weekend but I like it the way it is it has about 10 flower stalks on it!!! It looks very nice

i want to try this soon. any progress?

I was not able to get the traps to come through but I will try again. This time I will try using U. dichotoma and covering the plastic with black paper and checking periodically.

Just to add, one of my Genlisea colonies grows in a plastic cup with a drainage hole. They produce traps that are perfectly formed, and don't seem to mind the light. This way, I can always see the traps, and I don't need to waste too much water building a contraption like the, no matter how interesting it is.

Back