What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii progress pics

About a year ago (4.28.08), Pyro posted this in the trading forum. This was the 2nd level of a huge seed 'giveaway'. Although I may have missed them, there seems to be a paucity of updates. How's everyone's seed growing? Did they all die? Share your experiences ... inquiring minds want to know ....:scratch:

Don't sow them in peat. WHATEVER YOU DO.

It seems to stunt their growth. I was just following the instructions from a website that said that's how some guy at Kew (in Britain) sprouts his.

I'd use LFS and some small bark with highland temps.

I only have 1 or 2 left.

i tried various methods of growing them, kept some in a topless jar with mushy lfs, some in peat, some in peat/lfs. the pots that had peat got taken out by the cat after about 3 months and i couldnt find any of the seedlings to try and save them. the jar worked out for a while but after about 8 months it cratered(dried out during vacation).

~billy

Well don't feel too bad if they don't do well for you, Barry Rice told me the seeds were products of self fertilization so they are probably won't be as vigorous as they should be and that he give them out more so people can see how they look like. At any rate don't expect to get any this year, some foo watered the mother plant with awesome davis water http://daviswiki.org/Tap_Water, so i was told. Needless to say the plant didn't look so good the last time I saw it.

Grew mine in a NZ sphagnum moss slurry.with and under lay of peatt dhey starte out okay and disappeared one at a time.

I put mine in NZ LFS. They did great for a while and then disappeared. I think I have 3 left; not sure because the moss may be hiding some. They're still small. Hopefully the survivors will start to grow.

my seedlings are sitting on top of pure LFS and some live sphagnum too. i make it rain with cool water every friday and they are growing in one of those jiffy mini greenhousese. got 5 seedlings left and 3 of those are still strong and healthy. just got my first leaf from one =]

Alex

Hi Ron,

Here is a photo of the progress mine made. They were put in New Zealand LFS and have a high water table. I just put them outside for the first time ever last week so I hope they do well there. Out of the 5 seeds that looked viable on arrival I have three plants now.

JoAnn

http://cpforums.org/gallery/v/jfoley/U+Humboldtii.jpg.html

Well it took long enough, nearly two years. Of the five or so seeds that sprouted two survive.

From this
07030001.jpg

07030003.jpg

and this
01370001.jpg

To this
P2270035.jpg

Very impressive.

Lesson learned: don't plant in pure peatmoss.

Seems like LFS/LFS mixes work the best for these seedlings.

I germinated them floating in pure water. Substrate is Chilean long fibre sphagnum moss and perlite, I don't remember the ratio. 50 to 75% perlite most likely. I don't recall who recommended the mix, perhaps Pyro or it just seemed right to me.

Don't fret. The U. alpina seed I got from Pyro took forever to sprout and then vanished seemingly overnight a few months later in the same substrate.

Back