What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting U. sandersonii, bisquamata, livida to bloom

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I've had all three for about 8 months. The sandersonii plug quickly fiiled its pot, and bloomed very profusely for a month or so. Since then it sends up just a few spindly flowers here and there. The bisq. initially sent up a few flowers, but hasn't done anything in months. The livida just occasionallysends a few up.

They are under 4 32 watt t8s for 16 hrs a day. Temps of 65 -80f. I will flood their trays up to the top of the soil line, let it drop to the bottom, then refill.

So how do I get (and sustain) the profusely blooming pots of these like those I've seen pics of?

I to cannot get livida to bloom.
The only blooms I have been able to obtain prolifically are from dichotoma. Here are my conditions for all my Utrics:

50/50 peat/silica sand
water level as high as the soil is let evaporate until tray is near dry and then refilled to top of soil
Lighting consists of 4 t8's 40W each
temps ranging from 75-95

Apparently this seems to be just right for dichotoma but not at all for any of my other Utrics. Some grow very well and everywhere but do not bloom, and other are quite sluggish to grow such as tricolor.

Try moving them closer to the lights. That's how I got my livida to start flowering (which it had never done before). More light usually triggers flowering.

I also recall reading (I have no idea where) that they benefit from occasional drying; nothing too much, just no water in the tray for a day or two.

I believe dart is right, light seems to trigger flowering. Marcos Ono grows his outside and they flower non stop for him. He also grows the in pure sphagnum moss.

Back