User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquatic Utricularia in Hawaii River?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Kanaele Bog is considered low level at 2,100ft above sea level. The other D. anglica station on Kaua`i is the Alakai Swamp at 4,000-4,500 ft. From what I've heard the Drosera at the Alakai Swamp is not growing in Sphagnum.

I've been growing plants from seeds from both locations. There appears to be a slight morphological difference in the leaf shape between the populations and the Kanaele Bog plants appear to be more vigorous under my conditions.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The indigenous Sphagnum in Hawaii are only known (AFAIK based on a checklist) from the Big Island and Maui. My understanding is that on the Big Island it was originally know from the Kohala Mts., but has become spread around, unintentionally, by people mending/making fences. I recall smthing about a silversword bog on the Big Island and assumed it was a sphagnum bog also, but that I am uncertain. I do not know about the Sphagnum on Maui. Supposedly in the West Maui Mts. I have never seen it as of yet. The Sphagnum on Mt. Kaala on Oahu was planted there by a person.

I see the same differences between the two populations to D. anglica from Kauai. However, for me the Alakai Swamp population seems to do better. It might have a lot to do with my high elevation conditions and year round cool mild climate. Gave some to a friend living near sea level in Kihei and they made summer hibernacula. I suppose these guys still need a certain amount of cool temps......

Mach Fukada

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we have strayed from Utricularia however carnivorous plants and Sphagnum in Hawaii is somewhat related to this topic

I've noticed with the temperatures get to the mid 80's the Alakai Swamp more or less stops growing after putting out a few stunted leaves. I suppose this is summer hibernacula of sorts. Provided the plants survive this phase has lasted around 6 months for me.

Ivan Snyder tells me he hasn't noticed much growth difference between the two populations.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12