Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U. nephrophylla as an epiphyte

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I actually just took a few very small runners and "planted" then in some ADA soil hoping they would climb up a nearby piece of driftwood. Its only been a week or so, so nothing I can see so far. I don't see why it would not work. I'm growing U. graminifolia and U sandersonii as an epiphyte, well they both decided against my better jugment to grow themselves that way, I had nothing to do with it. I've tried a few times to keep them off the driftwood and have just given up.

Back to U. nephrophylla it is listed in few places as an emersed aquatic so you may not be able to keep away from the wetter areas. The few Utric's I have given full run of an area have grown in places that simply amazed me. I thought Utric's liked wet places....what are you doing way up there, by that big breezy fan . Like right now, some of my U. sandersonii keeps sending out runners away from the wet bog area up into the very dry driftwood area, its happily growing in the very very dry driftwood, that only gets watered once a day and is dry for 22 hours. Silly Utric, 1/2" below you is nice wet wood .

I've enjoyed every epiphyte project I've made, so I would definately recommend trying one. Keep us posted.
    I was looking for another older post and found this one and thought I'd offer an update on this project.

As for the U. nephrophylla, this stuff LOVES the ADA soil, I've had no less that 6 stalks from that tiny starter piece and the surface area is packed, I've even taken 6+ cutting from there to seed other pots. The leaves are about 1" high in the ADA soil compaired to the 1/4" - 1/2" in the peat/sand mix the cutting are in. Anyway it has not grown onto the driftwood at all. It seems to like the medium more than anything, the runners are very short and seem to stop after about 1/4" out of the medium. The clone I have is clearly an emersed aquatic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the water level with the ada aquasoil - totally underwater?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    What's the water level with the ada aquasoil - totally underwater?
    It starts out underwater just below the waterline by the time I go to refill it (a week later) it is about 50% full.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12