What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. nephrophylla as an epiphyte

I am wondering if anybody has grown U nephrophylla as an epiphyte. I found this photo on flickr of U nephrophylla in situ: http://www.flickr.com/photos/18847643@N04/3281050551/in/photostream/. For those who don't know, this is for a museum display which has a small waterfall installed in the back. I am thinking of affixing the plant with sphagnum moss to the background, a bit off to the side so it isn't directly under the stream of water, but, would stay wet as a result of the waterfall. Any ideas if this would work?

In my defense, I am attempting to up my ante and include a few unique plants to accompany what I'll call a lot of "mainstays" in the CP world, hence the onslaught of questions. Really, I know what I'm doing, really, LOL.

When this thing is done, I will post photos. Thank you.

To me that pic does not look like an epiphyte shot so much as it is just the plant growing on a vertical soil surface. An epiphyte would be growing in a non-damaging way upon another plant, like a tree.

That said, I think that your plan of action, in theory, ought to be fine. I would suggest you "plant" the sphag first and give it a while to establish itself as a stable foothold. After that you should be able to introduce the nephro and let it do its own thing.

I actually just took a few very small runners and "planted" then in some ADA soil hoping they would climb up a nearby piece of driftwood. Its only been a week or so, so nothing I can see so far. I don't see why it would not work. I'm growing U. graminifolia and U sandersonii as an epiphyte, well they both decided against my better jugment to grow themselves that way, I had nothing to do with it. I've tried a few times to keep them off the driftwood and have just given up.

Back to U. nephrophylla it is listed in few places as an emersed aquatic so you may not be able to keep away from the wetter areas. The few Utric's I have given full run of an area have grown in places that simply amazed me. I thought Utric's liked wet places....what are you doing way up there, by that big breezy fan :crazy:. Like right now, some of my U. sandersonii keeps sending out runners away from the wet bog area up into the very dry driftwood area, its happily growing in the very very dry driftwood, that only gets watered once a day and is dry for 22 hours. Silly Utric, 1/2" below you is nice wet wood :crazy:.

I've enjoyed every epiphyte project I've made, so I would definately recommend trying one. Keep us posted.

I think I meant lithophyte, but, I am not certain that is what I am looking at in the photo either. Thank you for the input. If I acquire enough, I may try it at the base to see if it climbs as well as mounted. Will keep you posted if there is any success.

Thanks....

I've enjoyed every epiphyte project I've made, so I would definately recommend trying one. Keep us posted.
or more than one ... :-O

I've tried a few times to keep them off the driftwood and have just given up.
Inherent in RSS's post is a warning about utrics. Instead of being overly concerned with where many of them will grow, if separation is a requirement (or desire) - beware. Many of these guys will find their way all over - so by the time the ink is dry on the exhibit sign explaining what species the visitors are admiring - there may be 2 or 3 more ... :0o:

Uhh -- you might wanna stay away from waterfalls in general.

They turn into toxic nightmares as they build up various minerals, etc. I've lost huge colonies of U. calycifida and other terrestrials growing in LFS as an epiphyte would.

No doubt you'ld lose the sphag too.

Pyro's advice concerning establishing your colony of nephrophylla is perfect.

May I ask which museum it is for? When I see SF and museum I keep thinking of the Academy of Science in GG Park. Which has a cp display, but is in need of more light. =/

It is actually The Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth, MN. They specialize mainly in the geography and wildlife of MN, but the state is rich in wetlands, and therefore a warm spot(?) for carnivorous plants, and we thought it would be interesting to educate people on this aspect. I have seen a few carnivorous displays in person, which, unfortunately, were rather sad to view, and hardly eye catching. I have also seen many photos of spectacular displays. Of course, I am striving for the spectacular, but will be content if I can achieve something in between, a visually appealing display with healthy plants. We have an great cross section of plants, representing most of the different species, and the big challenge is going to be getting these to grow happily alongside each other. I will post some photos soon and will love to hear everyones feedback.

I actually just took a few very small runners and "planted" then in some ADA soil hoping they would climb up a nearby piece of driftwood. Its only been a week or so, so nothing I can see so far. I don't see why it would not work. I'm growing U. graminifolia and U sandersonii as an epiphyte, well they both decided against my better jugment to grow themselves that way, I had nothing to do with it. I've tried a few times to keep them off the driftwood and have just given up.

Back to U. nephrophylla it is listed in few places as an emersed aquatic so you may not be able to keep away from the wetter areas. The few Utric's I have given full run of an area have grown in places that simply amazed me. I thought Utric's liked wet places....what are you doing way up there, by that big breezy fan :crazy:. Like right now, some of my U. sandersonii keeps sending out runners away from the wet bog area up into the very dry driftwood area, its happily growing in the very very dry driftwood, that only gets watered once a day and is dry for 22 hours. Silly Utric, 1/2" below you is nice wet wood :crazy:.

I was looking for another older post and found this one and thought I'd offer an update on this project.

As for the U. nephrophylla, this stuff LOVES the ADA soil, I've had no less that 6 stalks from that tiny starter piece and the surface area is packed, I've even taken 6+ cutting from there to seed other pots. The leaves are about 1" high in the ADA soil compaired to the 1/4" - 1/2" in the peat/sand mix the cutting are in. Anyway it has not grown onto the driftwood at all. It seems to like the medium more than anything, the runners are very short and seem to stop after about 1/4" out of the medium. The clone I have is clearly an emersed aquatic!

What's the water level with the ada aquasoil - totally underwater?

What's the water level with the ada aquasoil - totally underwater?

It starts out underwater just below the waterline by the time I go to refill it (a week later) it is about 50% full.

Back