Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U. graminifolia suspended

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I would recommend water fleas myself.
    I'm planning on getting a daphnia culture when I get some of the larger utrics growing bladders in the water column (I'd really love to see a bladder catch a water flea) but I thought they might be too large for these bladders ... no? I figured the 'eels' should work for any size trap.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The interesting thing about the bladders is, they don't have to fit completetly into the bladders, they can be digested in stages. Part of the bug will reclose the trap and allow the bladder to reseal around the bug and reset itself while the trapped part is digested and when it is reset the live half of the bug will move and trigger the trap pulling more of it in! Its really something to see with things like mosquito larva and the like.

Some of the water fleas may be too large but thats a good thing, you want a larger, safer breeding group right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I might do this suspended bladderwort idea. Will it work with Utricularia Livida? What about Calcifida?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I think I might do this suspended bladderwort idea. Will it work with Utricularia Livida? What about Calcifida?
    You would ideally want an terrestrial and emergent aquatic like graminifolia or nephrophylla.

Both lividia and calycifida are listed as terrestrial only. I'm not saying don't try it these lists are only guidelines and sometimes we can "get away" with alot of odd things, but just be aware you are heading into the unconventional areas with those 2 species. Sometimes they are just flat wrong , and we all know how much effort the hobby has put into growing Utric's.

I've never tried growing these 2 that wet so I can't help any more.

Anyway you are not likely to hurt the plants at all in this sort of a set-up so I'd say go for it and see. If they feel like growing down into the water they can or they can just keep growing in the soil. Keep us posted!

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had U. calycifida growing that way.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The interesting thing about the bladders is, they don't have to fit completetly into the bladders, they can be digested in stages. Part of the bug will reclose the trap and allow the bladder to reseal around the bug and reset itself while the trapped part is digested and when it is reset the live half of the bug will move and trigger the trap pulling more of it in! Its really something to see with things like mosquito larva and the like.
    Very interesting! I knew that they would capture cylindrical critters that wouldn't fit all the way in & just digest part of the critter but I'd never heard that they could continue to 'pull' the critter in & digest the remainder also. As for the daphnia, I didn't think they were small enough to even get partially captured. Wish I would have thought about the mosquito larvae before I just dumped some out last week...

Some of the water fleas may be too large but thats a good thing, you want a larger, safer breeding group right?
    I do want a breeding group but not necessarily in my utric bowls... It seems that their requirements are different.

I've just set up some U. humboldtii in an attempt to have the bladders suspended & visible and hope to have some U. nelumbifolia set up that way in the not-too-distant future. So far, the humbo's are sending up new leaves - which hopefully means they're not trying to die on me ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Very interesting! I knew that they would capture cylindrical critters that wouldn't fit all the way in & just digest part of the critter but I'd never heard that they could continue to 'pull' the critter in & digest the remainder also. As for the daphnia, I didn't think they were small enough to even get partially captured. Wish I would have thought about the mosquito larvae before I just dumped some out last week...
    Its mainly the babies that would be eaten the adults would just be there to provide the babies. We had some breeding in some 1-2 gallon containers last summer to feed the killi's and the babies were about the size of a pin head, so I'd say they would be perfect for most Utric's. With the larger bladdered Utirc's you would want something else or they would eat your breeders. I could see the adults getting sucked into an adult bladder of one of the larger Utric's.

I do want a breeding group but not necessarily in my utric bowls... It seems that their requirements are different.

I've just set up some U. humboldtii in an attempt to have the bladders suspended & visible and hope to have some U. nelumbifolia set up that way in the not-too-distant future. So far, the humbo's are sending up new leaves - which hopefully means they're not trying to die on me ...
    Hopefully you'll have better luck than me with humboldtii leaves, mine only last about 2 months then they turn brown. I'm missing something and I can't figure out what. I'm ahead of the curve and the plant is growing but I'm not quite providing it what it wants . Hopefully with the summer almost over the cooler winter temps will be the answer I'm looking for.

Looking over at the healthy happy H. minor sitting next to it Maybe its not the temps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12