User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: peat: is MiracleGro brand safe for utrics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have regular peat... couldn't tell you where it's from but it's a huge bag of it.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Shultz without a hitch, i make sure its says no fertilizers or added chemicals/minerals
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes101 View Post
    Super thrive is actually just Vitamins and plant hormones. I have used Superthrive lots of times with no ill affects. I even soak my new plants and cuttings in the stuff to treat them for shock before planting them
    What relation does this information have in helping mikulas find a good brand of "peat"? Perhaps I'm missing something??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think he was thinking MiracleGro and Superthrive are one in the same. for clarification to Nep101, MG is a fertilizer, using micro and macro nutrients to boost a plants growth. ST is basic plant hormones and vitamins. the plant will be stronger and may recover faster from shock. but it wont alter the size of the plant.

real life comparison--- anabolic steroids vs a daily multivitamin.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your helpful replies. I looked at my local Lowe's pretty thoroughly, and couldnt' find any other brand of peat - but then again, I'm in Oklahoma, so local demand may have something to do with that. As for bales, I live in a small apt, and so I shy away from buying in bulk (especially since I'm growing utrics, after all). I think at this point I'll either buy a bag from the flytrapshop (more expensive, but a manageable quantity), or look for some of the expandable peat pellets.

Many thanks!
    ~mikulas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Home Depots and Lowes here have a square turquoise & white bag that says "Greensmix Sphagnum Peat" and sometimes it says "Greensmix Canadian Spahgnum Peat". I've had both bags. Essentially the same stuff just farmed in different places. It's both just peat raging from small clumps to fine powder plus a few twigs and so on.

I have a 24" x 24" metal screen with 1/8th inch openings and I put a couple handfuls of peat on the screen and shake it back and forth over a plastic tub. This screens out the fines and leaves the larger peat clods ontop of the screen. I use the two types of peat for different things. I like the peat clods for plants which like a lot of air exchange at the roots.

I live in an apartment/codo too but for pure peat a bale is the only way to get a single soil ingredient. The Greensmix is compressed into a square and fits in the corner of my pantry next to all my plastic pots, a sack of NAPA floor dry for potting up cactuses and all my other currently unused plant stuff that needs somewhere to be until it's day comes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12