What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tips on corkscrew plants?

Chomp

Oops
The Savage Garden was not very specific on these plants, but I am very interested. Does anybody have some tips on growing these? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx!
Chomp.

like terrestrial utrics, wet peat works fine......they tend to be easy to care for....the only one that gave me some fits was filliformis but once i warmed it up it flowered for me....

How hot? Should I put it in a terra? Does it go dormant?

Your main problem will be finding Genlisea... they aren't the plants that are really in demand right now.

Media: I have used pure peat and a sand and peat mix. They are not fussy.

Light: Give them as much as you can.

Dormancy: None. They are tropical plants. (60-80 F is a good rule.)

Terrariums: Go ahead, but I have seen them rot in very high humidity.

Pots: Anything goes.

Watering: Lightly moist... waterlogging the media is something I don't recommend.

Other Tidbits: Plants die back from time to time... do not discard, because they will often grow back from the underground traps. Whenever I transplant, my Genlisea die back and briefly regrow.

There is a section for Utricularia, Aldrovanda and Genlisea. Please post any other Genlisea related inquiries there.

Or have this thread moved and continue to ask questions in this thread.

Your main problem will be finding Genlisea... they aren't the plants that are really in demand right now.

Watering: Lightly moist... waterlogging the media is something I don't recommend.

Other Tidbits: Plants die back from time to time... do not discard, because they will often grow back from the underground traps. Whenever I transplant, my Genlisea die back and briefly regrow.

There is a section for Utricularia, Aldrovanda and Genlisea. Please post any other Genlisea related inquiries there.

in my experience its pretty simple to find the more common ones.....post a query on the trade forum and you will prolly find one.....

also in my experience they do just fine waterlogged.......

Rot?! I can't imagine my G. hispidula rotting unless it was already damaged in some way (like by heat, anaerobic/screwed up soil).

Chomp - I've been growing my G. hispidula in a lowland nepenthes terrarium for 4 years. The humidity is over 80%.

Often I flood my plants, and they remain completely submerged for a couple days. This encourages flowering along with bright light and tbs in the 70s.

Have you guys ever seen photos of these in the wild?... ...

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17715&hl=africa

Granted I've only had two species, I recommend growing them in a mix of peat, sand, and perlite. Using LFS sometimes causes them to get shaded (the sphag grows over them).

I had one, but it was one of several fatalities linked to my new hatred of earthworms.

Oh yeah, my genlisea have never died back before in a terrarium. Maybe some of the rarer species do. I know some consider them annuals.

Sorry, I did not see that on the utric and aldro forum. I am not entirely sure who to listen to here, but just so you know, I did find a website that sells them. (They've also got carnivorous bromilieds,(how do you spell that?) aldrovandas, cephs, and sunpitchers, but I've noticed that they don't restock on plants as fast as flytrapshop.com does)

Jeff and i have both grown them for a few years and have similar recommendations.....take our advice for whatever you think its worth.....

I'll echo Rattler and Jeff's recommendations and add in that I have been growing Genlisea of some species or other for 10 years or so... FWIW.

My genlisea (violacea x lobata - I think) was in anaerobic soil for a while before it started to deteriorate. After repotting, however, the main rosette was fine.

In general they are really easy, main problem will be finding one. If you do find one, the nursery may not label the species. The old nursery I bought mine from doesn't sell them anymore.

For soil, any relatively wet and acidic medium will do. (Peat + sand, Peat + perlite, peat, whatever). Some people recommend waterlogging, some a moist but not too wet medium, and some a cycle of wet to moist (keep wet for a couple of months, then let dry a little bit, then keep wet again), so it is your choice which one to trust.

i personally dont grow Genlisea, however a good friend of mine who lives a few miles away from me does, he grows them pretty much waterlogged in peat/sand with a little but of live LFS but he keeps it trimmed back, hes growing them in LL conditions with LED lights

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

TriptoRons28.jpg

Well I can get it very humid, heated and waterlogged; I know where to find them where they know the spiecies. I'm going to look at some prices. If I get any, I'll post some pics.
thanx for the help guys!
Chomp.

I had one, but it was one of several fatalities linked to my new hatred of earthworms.

I know what ya mean! I have had Genlisea flower for me and then promptly die.. just like a window sill VFT.

Well, I've been giving another chance. I got a HUGE (1") clump of G. hispidula in a trade, and I hope to keep it alive. I'm gonna start some leaf cutting, just in case Momma plant didn't like being moved.

Back