User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: well not all Utrics are lil......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine alpinas just throw up flowers whenever they feel like it. Very different for reniformis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do believe it is a self pollenated Pitter Moon flower but can check on that.......will also have to double check on when i got the seed, thinking they are around 24-30 months from germination off the top of my head......

have not got alpina to flower yet so im not one to ask.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm don't know about alpina (I don't have that one yet). But I've have a fair amount of success with other utrics. The two things that I've found to work for me are (a) very high light and (b) fluctuating water-levels. Without high light, they don't seem to flower. However, the fluctuating water levels seem to trigger flowering once they have sufficient light. I've heard some people say that they have to be pot-bound to flower, but I've never found that to be an important factor.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes that works for alot of terrestrials.......doesnt necessarily work with Iperua and Ochidioides Section Utrics such as alpina, reniformis, geminiloba, endresii, asplundi, ect......
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    yes that works for alot of terrestrials.......doesnt necessarily work with Iperua and Ochidioides Section Utrics such as alpina, reniformis, geminiloba, endresii, asplundi, ect......
    Okay, I can accept that. So, what does work? I defer to your greater wisdom. Inquiring minds want to know.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good question.....all i know is those techniques dont work or i would have flowered them by now as what you describe is what i have been recommending for years for flowering terrestrials.......temp swings probably have alot to do with it, especially with ones like reniformis......except for nephrophylla ive not had much luck flowering the Iperua and Orchidioides section utrics, my best guess is because my temps are to stable with minimal variation from season to season.....
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    Hermes,
    As Rattler notes here, not all utrics are created equal. Many of the weedy little guys are difficult to keep from flowering. Some of the others appear to be as much art as science. Here's a thread that will supply some info. I've only been growing a few of these guys for a short time so I'm very short on real world experience. People like Rattler & Pyro have years of experience so when they share their knowledge, I always try to listen up ...

Based on reading a number of threads on various forums, it seemed that photoperiod was important for U. longifolia. Using that info, I have one pot on an east-facing windowsill and 2 under lights where I've been adjusting the photoperiod. So far, 2 of the 3 are sending up stalks.

I think I have just gotten lucky with U. nelumbifolia as 2 of my plants are sending up 3 stalks (2 plants --> 3 stalks total - not 3 on each). Hopefully some day, I'll get to see some flowers on the others....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Hermes,
    As Rattler notes here, not all utrics are created equal. Many of the weedy little guys are difficult to keep from flowering. Some of the others appear to be as much art as science... People like Rattler & Pyro have years of experience so when they share their knowledge, I always try to listen up ...
    Well, I already knew that about utrics. However, I also realize that people tend to treat them more like low-light dews. As I said above I've never tended an alpine, so I offered what little I could.

If rattler is willing to teach, I am eager to learn. I love utrics and am very eager to learn more about my favorite genus. I've read Taylor's monograph cover to cover and would like more info on the care of the more interesting utrics.

However, it appears as though I have rubbed him the wrong way.

-Hermes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast