What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well not all Utrics are lil......

one of the two clones of U. alpina i grow......still isnt at full size i believe, the seed came from a rather large clone....
IMG_0988n.jpg

Lookin good man! My U. alpina only has 1 or 2 leaves (smaller than that) but the under ground growth is apparent as it keeps trying to come out of the pot :) ...now make it flower :-D
Andrew

how is the hybrid doing?

I just went out and took some pics, I'll start a new topic on that one...

Here is my alpina with 3 leaves

IMG_0513.JPG

And the under ground action

IMG_0514.JPG

Andrew

yesterday i ripped off the growth coming out the bottom of the other alpina pot and threw it in a terrarium to see if it will establish there.......

Good luck man :) What do you have going in there? I feel like you attempted alpina in there before. ???

right now not much, few bromilieds, java fern growing on a branch above the water think there is an epiphatic cacti in there aswell.....dont remember if i have tried to start alpina in this one or not.....

Hey Rattler,
Nice alpina! Was one of the parents a P-moon? How old is it?

While there's a fair amount of discussion on getting a U. reniformis to bloom - do the same practices work for U. alpina? Are there any tricks to help induce flowering?

Mine alpinas just throw up flowers whenever they feel like it. Very different for reniformis.

i do believe it is a self pollenated Pitter Moon flower but can check on that.......will also have to double check on when i got the seed, thinking they are around 24-30 months from germination off the top of my head......

have not got alpina to flower yet so im not one to ask.....

I'm don't know about alpina (I don't have that one yet). But I've have a fair amount of success with other utrics. The two things that I've found to work for me are (a) very high light and (b) fluctuating water-levels. Without high light, they don't seem to flower. However, the fluctuating water levels seem to trigger flowering once they have sufficient light. I've heard some people say that they have to be pot-bound to flower, but I've never found that to be an important factor.

-Hermes.

yes that works for alot of terrestrials.......doesnt necessarily work with Iperua and Ochidioides Section Utrics such as alpina, reniformis, geminiloba, endresii, asplundi, ect......

yes that works for alot of terrestrials.......doesnt necessarily work with Iperua and Ochidioides Section Utrics such as alpina, reniformis, geminiloba, endresii, asplundi, ect......

Okay, I can accept that. So, what does work? I defer to your greater wisdom. Inquiring minds want to know. :-O

-Hermes.

good question.....all i know is those techniques dont work or i would have flowered them by now as what you describe is what i have been recommending for years for flowering terrestrials.......temp swings probably have alot to do with it, especially with ones like reniformis......except for nephrophylla ive not had much luck flowering the Iperua and Orchidioides section utrics, my best guess is because my temps are to stable with minimal variation from season to season.....

Hermes,
As Rattler notes here, not all utrics are created equal. Many of the weedy little guys are difficult to keep from flowering. Some of the others appear to be as much art as science. Here's a thread that will supply some info. I've only been growing a few of these guys for a short time so I'm very short on real world experience. People like Rattler & Pyro have years of experience so when they share their knowledge, I always try to listen up ... :-O

Based on reading a number of threads on various forums, it seemed that photoperiod was important for U. longifolia. Using that info, I have one pot on an east-facing windowsill and 2 under lights where I've been adjusting the photoperiod. So far, 2 of the 3 are sending up stalks.

I think I have just gotten lucky with U. nelumbifolia as 2 of my plants are sending up 3 stalks (2 plants --> 3 stalks total - not 3 on each). Hopefully some day, I'll get to see some flowers on the others.... :boogie:

Hermes,
As Rattler notes here, not all utrics are created equal. Many of the weedy little guys are difficult to keep from flowering. Some of the others appear to be as much art as science... People like Rattler & Pyro have years of experience so when they share their knowledge, I always try to listen up ... :-O

Well, I already knew that about utrics. However, I also realize that people tend to treat them more like low-light dews. As I said above I've never tended an alpine, so I offered what little I could. :-(

If rattler is willing to teach, I am eager to learn. I love utrics and am very eager to learn more about my favorite genus. I've read Taylor's monograph cover to cover and would like more info on the care of the more interesting utrics.

However, it appears as though I have rubbed him the wrong way. :blush:

-Hermes.

where in the hell do you get that you rubbed me the wrong way?

nah just figuring your mad cause you asked for me to send yah free plants and i said nope......

You guys are funny! I have had U. livida, sandersonii white & blue, dichotoma, calcyfida, tricolor, subulata, warburgii, bisquamata, and a couple others flower. But for the life of me and all of done with photoperiod, temperature, and water fluctuations, I cannot get U. alpina or longifolia to do anything besides green foliage. If they weren't deemed somewhat valuable, I'd give them away!

Back