What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

x [alpina x endresii] and others; pictures and cultivation

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
So, I've had this for a while now and could really never get it to do much. We talked about top watering, not top watering, cooler temps, warmer temps... I just could never get it to do more than one or 2 leaves and then those die off... Here is what I have going as of right now.

I have it in maybe a slightly cooler part of the g/h (by the cephs) but in the heated greenhouse. So nights around 55-60ish and days around 80-85f. I no longer water through the top, at all. and it generally sits in water (same tray as some random VFTs and the U. alpina.) I bet you wish yours was doing so well!

Andrew

IMG_0515.JPG

Alright, guess you're not gonna fall for it and say I suck. hehe

same pot, the cutouts you recommended...

IMG_0516.JPG

A smaller pot I put a small plug into (pure lfs iirc)

IMG_0517.JPG

A little bit better than 3 dead leaves huh? heh I'm guessing they like the shallower LFS since it's fine in the small pot, and likes the side holes in the bigger pot but nothing out the top.

nice......seems less picky than its endresii parent....that one has just started growing well after barely surviving for quite awhile....

nice sundew pots :-D
(LOL)

So, it's willing to grow out the sides of the container but completely unwilling to send up anything due north?? What's up with that? It just doesn't like the company of all those volunteers (burmannii, etc).

actually i have had the same issues with some of the Orchidioides section Utrics......they pic the spot in the column of soil that has the moisture content it likes and chooses to grow there which is why i cut holes in the sides of the pots when i use plastic.......some species like endresii like the drier top, some like alpins seem to like the wetter bottom....atleast in my care....

So, it's willing to grow out the sides of the container but completely unwilling to send up anything due north?? What's up with that? It just doesn't like the company of all those volunteers (burmannii, etc).

It's actually kinda common for the group. I lost all the top growth on my U. alpina Pitter moon, but it started growing out the bottom instead. Quelchii and asplundii seem to be leaning more towards growing out the bottom of pots too, at least when they're stressed in my conditions.

Sheridan - you still grow this hybrid right?

yep still got it.......

Hey Jeff! I believe that 2nd pot was started for you LOL I think I was trying to get nelumbifolia... but, I think all that was supposed to be last spring :p Still interested?

Sheridan - Good. I was hoping you still had some around. It seemed easy enough for me to lose it. My neighbor overwatered.

Andy - Definately! With some luck I might have a couple Brasilian species for you too.

The division I took for you has flowered twice in the last 12 months. It's actually doing better than my mother plant.

I'll make a note to myself right now so I remember to contact you...

actually i have had the same issues with some of the Orchidioides section Utrics......they pic the spot in the column of soil that has the moisture content it likes and chooses to grow there which is why i cut holes in the sides of the pots when i use plastic.......some species like endresii like the drier top, some like alpins seem to like the wetter bottom....atleast in my care....
Interesting. A while back, I started drilling holes in the sides of some pots just to allow more oxygen in to the mix - although I've not yet had anything sprout from there.

I seem to recall Pyro mentioning the use of tall pots iirc so they could find the level they like but I thought that was just the underground growth and they would still send their leaves to the surface....
It's actually kinda common for the group. I lost all the top growth on my U. alpina Pitter moon, but it started growing out the bottom instead. Quelchii and asplundii seem to be leaning more towards growing out the bottom of pots too, at least when they're stressed in my conditions.
I have a few 3" net pots that I haven't used. I may have to pull them out and give them a shot. In the fall, I received a clone of quelchii & one of endresii - both are barely alive. The quelchii has some small 1/8" 'leaves' (or smaller)(when it came with a 6" leaf) and the endresii is similar (although one pot has leaves ~1").

Are you guys all using peat-based mixes?

i use LFS, orchid bark, APS and a lil peat but not much......

Sounds good Jeff! I think I was going to try and get U. reniformis small form and U. reniformis "Big Sister" for you too right? I had gotten small form going but let it dry out. I got one "Big Sister" going out of 5 attempts and that one is for Travis. If you're interested in both of those still, I could probably try again. My "Big Sister" is in a much bigger pot now so I can't just flip the ball in my hand and cut roots... But check out what I just found that I could probably grab and try with. :)

(U. reniformis "Big Sister")

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

Ron, My hybrid mentioned in this topic is in pure lfs, as well as my U. alpina:

IMG_0513.JPG

The "Big Sister" is in a peat perlite mix.

Andrew

I'm fine, not really looking for reniformis clones anymore. Thanks though.

Good choice of growing medium. I have a hunch that peaty mixes and cold winters trigger flowering in reniformis. I think that's why it flowers more often for a lot of European growers.

Looks like my U. x [alpina x endresii] is throwing a flower :)

As of right now (I'm really excited about this one :) )
Andrew

IMG_0661.JPG

you suck....mine hasnt shown an interest in blooming....

The learnded becomes the teaching! (what?) lol

lol as i said in another thread i think my downfall with blooming Iperua and Orchidioids Utrics is that my conditions are to stable......they grow pretty well for me but just dont like to flower.......maybe i should crack a basement window and drop the night time temps to the 50's for a few weeks.....

Back