What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia species.... what are you growing?

I am really curious to find out which species of Utricularia are currently being grown in the United States. I gave away my collection several years ago and I would like to build it back up and I am trying to figure out where I should start.

So… what are you growing? :banana2:

bisquamata and a few stray sublata.

bisqumata, gibba, inflata, pubescens

Inflata, dichotoma, and subulata, which are fairly common in the US and very easy to grow.

back about 4 years ago or so i had about 30 species/forms and at that point the only Orchidioides Utric i had was alpina.......would think you could find about 50 or so species in the US if yah tried hard.....more if yah get viable annual seed from Lowries.....

at the moment believe i have:
reniformis
humboldtii
alpina(2 different forms)
endressii
alpina x endressii
and i think i have bisquamata, sandersonii, and subulata in a couple pots as "weeds".....

Livida and Gibba. I think I have Subulata in my collection too, but I'm not sure.

I would love to add Calcifida to my collection, but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

I frankly haven't a clue -- whatever seems to be infesting my Sarracenia pots at any given time.

Attractive little things, nonetheless . . .

I like to put my Utric's into 3 groups.

Maybe dead soon.
Is it Plastic?
Please stop growing.

I think we can ignore the top 2 and just focus on the faster growing ones. I have managed to get my grubby little mits on well over 50 species in the states without too much effort. If your restarting I would recommend calycifida, graminifolia, longifolia, sandersonii and if you can grow it well nephrophylla. With those 5 you can really get some trading going for other non Utric's then trade those more icky CPs for Utrics :-)). Now good luck getting any Orchidioides in the states.

bisquamata
blanchetii
caerulea
calycifida
dichotoma
graminifolia
longifolia
monanthos
nephrophylla
sandersonii

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Livida and Gibba. I think I have Subulata in my collection too, but I'm not sure.

I would love to add Calcifida to my collection, but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

I can send you a plantlet of calycifida if you want to pay the postage. Just send me a PM.

I'm growing the following:

dichotoma
longifolia
livida
sandersonii
subulata
(and perhaps) bisquamata.

But, I'm always looking for more. I love utrics!

-Hermes.

Right now I have:

U. blanchetii (pink?)
U. dichotoma
U. longifolia
U. tricolor
U. praelonga
U. rostrata
U. sandersonii
U. sp. Hermanus
U. uliginosa
U. uniflora

I used to have about 50 species :(

not much. but winners.

U. longifolia
U. quelchii
U. bisquamata (unwanted weed)
U. graminifolia (fish tank material, not in cp tank)

North of the border:

Alpina(probably longifolia)
Bisquamata
Livida
Longifolia
Sandersonii
Tricolor

Wow, it's actually you. I never thought I'd see you active on these forums again.

I recall you had some pretty unique things on your cpuk growlist, like U. simulans.

Whoever you gave your collection away to didn't do so well spreading them around. I assume they killed the U. simulans? Because there are no obvious sources of it when I last checked thoroughly (a couple months ago).

I'm currently trying to get some of the NT utrics into cultivation in the U.S. and I'm trying some Brasilian species. I know RSS has one or more Aranella utrics too.

I believe pretty much all of the macros are in cultivation in the U.S., except for maybe unifolia and definately that other one that almost isn't in cultivation anywhere...forgot what it is called. Either way it's not long before all the macros are in the U.S., which is what most people care about.

I gave about 40 species to a local grower in my area. I haven't had a chance to talk to him but I have been into the stores that carry his plants and I only see U. sandersonii and U. lividia. Very unfortunate. I plan on building my collection back up to where it was but it may take awhile. It seems like there are less people growing Utricularia right now. Back in the day I started a website on Utrics but was using front page and didnt know HTML so I quickly became overwhelmed with the project. I how ever took some web design courses recently, learned xhtml and css and purchased the Adobe Web Premium Suite. I expect to be able to put up a nice website on Utrics over the next several months. Id give out the current link to what I am working on right now but i keep moving it around as I have yet to think of and purchase a domain name for it.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

I think the U. simulans had came from an online CP seller in Florida... I recall that it was the only thing that survived the shipping and they did a really poor job of packaging everything so I never went back to them, in fact I dont even remember the name of the place. My guess is that they may have collected it locally.

I believe pretty much all of the macros are in cultivation in the U.S., except for maybe unifolia and definately that other one that almost isn't in cultivation anywhere...forgot what it is called.
U. buntingiana? You think U. campy is growing in the states?

Either way it's not long before all the macros are in the U.S., which is what most people care about.
After seeing some of the macro blooms, it's hard to not be impressed .... :hail:

While some of the blooms on the little guys are pretty cool, their propensity to sneak into nearby pots gets old pretty fast .... :censor:

While some of the blooms on the little guys are pretty cool, their propensity to sneak into nearby pots gets old pretty fast .... :censor:

Just means you have to spend more time enjoying them and keeping an eye on them to prevent the spread.

I have quite a few, but I need to go out and take inventory again-- my collection has out-paced my growlist.

Now good luck getting any Orchidioides in the states.

actually quite a few are in the states, i have seen(ones with * i have actually had):

U. alpina*
U. asplundii*
U. endresii*
U. jamesoniana
U. praetermissa*
U. quelchii*

the only ones i aint sure about being in the states are unifolia, buntingiana and campbelliana....alpina is darn easy to come by if you look, asplundi a lil less so....the hybrids quelchii × praetermissa 'Jitka' and alpina x endressii are not to hard to find either if yah got decent trading material

Right now I have U. livida and U. sandersonnii.

Back