Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: educate me on some utric "prima donnas"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if only they made clear net pots...sigh. that would be the best of both worlds. your pots would definitely allow aeration which is a plus, and even more growing space for your utrics. im sure the wider grid net pots will allow the sphagnum to grow out of the pot and photosynthesize better as well.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't have a lot of experience w/Utric's, but the common sense side of me wonders if the sphagnum growing thru the net pots, and possibly even the Utric's rooting thru the holes in the net/pot will anchor the entire thing together in time

Not a problem for plants that only have hair-like fine roots that make it thru the netting,
    like my waterlilies; but will it be a problem for other sorts of plants?
    It might be nice having a pot that looks like the entire pot is made out of sphagnum moss!!! ...until it needs repotting and "cutting" apart that is. Might be pretty cool until then however.

Clear pots would allow light to go thru, allow you to see the utric "underground" if it grows along the sides of the pot, but also allows for smooth removal of the entire thing anytime when desired. Something the net-basket-pot might not.

Just a thought.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=GrowinOld;967341]Well, I don't have a lot of experience w/Utric's, but the common sense side of me wonders if the sphagnum growing thru the net pots, and possibly even the Utric's rooting thru the holes in the net/pot will anchor the entire thing together in time [QUOTE]

It doesn't really matter because orchidioides die back to the tubers occasionally, and are easier to repot, at least in my experience.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

I definitely see your point... its only common sense. However, I have read refs where some utric growers have drilled holes in their pots. It would seem logical that this provides a gradient of different microenvironmental zones to form.
    Later, some of their plants died back on the surface only to thrive in some of these lower regions. Or other times the growth in these regions surpassed that of the surface.
    It would seem like if drilled holes are good, net would be better... but I just don't know.
    I have an U. alpina in one of these pots and it's growing all over, both top and sides. So I'm not sure if I can learn much from that example other then it didn't kill it.
    And as Jeff said, if it's not going to be a biggie come transplant time, should I try it with these little jewels?

The person that gave me the plants is obviously successful and is also someone who's opinion I highly respect and follow. I just want to also hear what everyone else is doing.
    Thank you everyone for this discussion, exactly what I was hoping for... so if you grow these species please chime in

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nelumbifolia likes waterlogged conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPsam View Post
    While this is the usual advice, Jeremiah grows his a bit differently with excellent success....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, there is a ton I could say here but I am going to try and keep it short as my fingers are getting tired and I have a 6 year old bugging me every 3 minutes to "go to the park"

So...

Av, check the Utric forum for my posts, I am pretty sure I still have the "How to grow Orchidioides" still in there. If not it is in the ICPS archives for sure just not sure off the top of my head which month/year.

I will caveat that I did switch my conditions up on them after the article though.

Lighting: 14/10 in summer 10/14 in winter. They like it bright too

Substrate: Really open loose media (I used 3/2/1/1 APS/live sphag/cypress mulch/peat and I tossed in some 0.5cm rock wool cube media as well, but not very much). I do not like straight sphag as a media, gets too wet in my experience

Temp: Highland conditions though some can take lowland (alpina especially)

Humidity: Moderate to high. I have grown some on windowsills at ambient humidity and they do fine. The leaves are a good indictor for the most, if they are crisping then they need more humidity.

Potting method: Those net pots you have should work just fine. They will "escape" through the holes but that is not a big deal, they actually seem to like growing that way.

I was not free to do it in my setup but if you have the ability, hang the pot. I talked with a lot of guys and was checking into this before my move and it was going to be my next step in experimentation. A number of species really seem to like the freedom afforded by growing "down" and out. Plus it keeps them from getting wet feet which they hate.

Watering: Water to keep moist but never really wet.

Quote Originally Posted by CPsam View Post
    I disagree with this statement 100%. Too much to type now but the long and short is that this is not even close to their natural condition but is a misrepresentation of it that was published and perpetuated without research behind it. If you really think about how they grow you will understand why I disagree.
    Last edited by Pyro; 04-19-2010 at 06:52 PM.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travis,

Now you know Ive already read your cpn article, listserve and your TF threads... :P
    But I kept getting the impression that the techniques were still in a state of flux... hence my post
    Outstanding reply, thanks mate..... just the way I like it, very little filler and lots of meat

I can definitely hang.... that is very easy with my setup

kudos..
    Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Okay, there is a ton I could say here but I am going to try and keep it short as my fingers are getting tired and I have a 6 year old bugging me every 3 minutes to "go to the park"

So...

Av, check the Utric forum for my posts, I am pretty sure I still have the "How to grow Orchidioides" still in there. If not it is in the ICPS archives for sure just not sure off the top of my head which month/year.

I will caveat that I did switch my conditions up on them after the article though.

Lighting: 14/10 in summer 10/14 in winter. They like it bright too

Substrate: Really open loose media (I used 3/2/1/1 APS/live sphag/sand/peat and I tossed in some 0.5cm rock wool cube media as well, but not very much). I do not like straight sphag as a media, gets too wet in my experience

Temp: Highland conditions though some can take lowland (alpina especially)

Humidity: Moderate to high. I have grown some on windowsills at ambient humidity and they do fine. The leaves are a good indictor for the most, if they are crisping then they need more humidity.

Potting method: Those net pots you have should work just fine. They will "escape" through the holes but that is not a big deal, they actually seem to like growing that way.

I was not free to do it in my setup but if you have the ability, hang the pot. I talked with a lot of guys and was checking into this before my move and it was going to be my next step in experimentation. A number of species really seem to like the freedom afforded by growing "down" and out. Plus it keeps them from getting wet feet which they hate.

Watering: Water to keep moist but never really wet.

I disagree with this statement 100%. Too much to type now but the long and short is that this is not even close to their natural condition but is a misrepresentation of it that was published and perpetuated without research behind it. If you really think about how they grow you will understand why I disagree.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast