What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda Care Tips

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
A while back, before I had gotten my Aldrovanda, Blokeman decided to PM me some very helpful tips (Thanks again, Steven!). Bloke compiled up the info from his own experiences, local CPers and Barry Rice's very informative Growing Carnivorous Plants. Here's his PM:

"Hey Clue,
I've tried growing aldro, but with no success, but for the simple and only reason; Algae.

What I think you will need is as such. You'll have to make sure that there is a slight flow of the water, if it stagnates, i think that it promotes algae growth... You'll also need other plants to suck up any nutrients that might be present. As well as oxygenators (odd looking round balls of plant that make oxygen...) And finally, a filter of some sort, be it activated carbon, or some other type of replaceable filter, preferably the former (1st option). All this, in your typical aquarium. Barry rice says to make a peat tea, by passing water through some peat, and to also put a base of some leaf litter and peat at the bottom of your aquarium. I'd assume it is to replicate their natural environment, and give the water the proper tannins, and possibility of microorganisms, feeding your aldro eventually :D Be careful when refilling the tank, as there WILL be evaporation, if you pour it any faster than a snails pace, you will (or at least I did, hehe) loosen up any algae growth that WILL form at the bottom of the tank, making your water cloudy and that's basically how i killed my aldro :( hehehe. Meh, live and learn eh!

Well i hope this helps you on your quest in growing this magnificent plant, it's a lot smaller than i thought, but if you have a macro zoom on your camera, it makes fore real great pics!!! Here :
DSC06662.jpg

DSC06660.jpg

DSC06661.jpg

Sounds complicated, it is, but is it worth it, YES!!!!

Steven"

I had tried growing some Aldrovanda in a ten-gallon tank with gentle carbon filtration, but algae still set in, so there's a tidbit I'd like to add: try not to use peat in your water. Rich Siversten and I have both noticed that peat-sludge sprouts green, stringy algae that chokes out plants. :eek: I do, however, have a backup pond outside that still has a moderate-sized population of Aldro.

Thanks to Bloke for allowing me to post this (a little late, BTW). I hope it comes in handy! :-O

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I just set up a 10 gallon fishtank on the porch for a portion of what I have, as well as a Sterilite container in a nearby bog for the rest.

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture008-8.jpg

Picture005-16.jpg

Any words of wisdom mr. jimscott? I wasn't able to keep mine going last year, and I lost them.

Nice pics by the way! Thanks for sharing!

Jim: Nice photos! The turions will unravel really fast, so keep updating!

i wonder if dissolved CO2 supplimentation could aid in the cultivation of this plant?

Any words of wisdom mr. jimscott? I wasn't able to keep mine going last year, and I lost them.

Nice pics by the way! Thanks for sharing!

Words of wisdom? This is my first season with anything alive to work with. Here's a picture from the fishtank, though, as opposed to the bog:

Picture010-3.jpg

i wonder if dissolved CO2 supplimentation could aid in the cultivation of this plant?

Jon: Barry has used a yeast and vinegar reactor. Other Aldro growers have noticed that the plants grow the same with or without the reactor, so it's really more of a gray area. :poke:

From Rich Sivertsen:

Hey Jim,

So far, so good! Glad to see that you managed to churn up the waters to stir up the detritus muck! The Aldrovanda just loves this! Great photos too!

The Utrics also seem to respond well to this as it stirs up the micronutrients as well as all those zooplanktonic creatures that live in that zone and forces them out and into the Aldrovancda strands.

Rich

Back