Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U. nephrophylla growing in some ADA aquasoil

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U. nephrophylla growing in some ADA aquasoil

When I started this I had different plans that the Utric. did. I wanted it to grow up the driftwood but there were a few problems, like I could not get the driftwood to stay wet enough and the Utric. liked the ADA aquasoil too much to leave it.

The original portion size was 2-3 pieces approx 1/4-1/2" long. This thing is growing like crazy in there, the original division plant is maybe growing at 5% the rate in the usually peat/sand mix.

I have tried about 5 different types of Utric's in ADA aquasoil and the only one that is not showing faster growth is U. sandersonii...and it died....Now I have mats of U. sandersonii so its not the conditions is just does not like the medium or needs a different transpant method.

Utricularia nephrophylla

And one of the 2 flowers. Still one of the nicer flowers out there in my opinion.

Utricularia nephrophylla Flower

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang... I need to get more Utrics!
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've never grown nephrophylla before. are those tubers on the right side of the pot?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    i've never grown nephrophylla before. are those tubers on the right side of the pot?
    The 4 green bulbs on the driftwood is an orchid, Dendrobium lichenastrum. I'm planning on adding a few more orchids since the Utric is not using the space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I have tried about 5 different types of Utric's in ADA aquasoil and the only one that is not showing faster growth is U. sandersonii...and it died....
    Odd thing about the U. sandersonii... Great info on the aquasoil! Thanks for sharing - I've got to get some & try it out. It doesn't inhibit mosses by any chance?

And one of the 2 flowers. Still one of the nicer flowers out there in my opinion.
    Completely agree! Nephro sure seems to be the 'missing' plant in many utric collections - and I'm not sure why.... I've got to wonder if people see that its in the same group as U. reniformis, U. geminiloba, etc & figure that it might be difficult to grow. If so, they're missing out. This plant provides an easy entry to that group's beauty without any of the worries.

I'm planning on adding a few more orchids since the Utric is not using the space.
    I can see you waking up in the middle of the night thinking "Dang - there's an empty square inch on that log - I've got to fix that in the morning!" (gotta love that thinking!)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Odd thing about the U. sandersonii... Great info on the aquasoil! Thanks for sharing - I've got to get some & try it out. It doesn't inhibit mosses by any chance?
    I really think I could grow moss on marbles...But from every medium I've used this stuff is the most moss resistant, If I end up getting a patch of moss I can for some reason cut the top of the moss off (give it a hair cut) and it dies .

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I can see you waking up in the middle of the night thinking "Dang - there's an empty square inch on that log - I've got to fix that in the morning!" (gotta love that thinking!)
    I already know the next plant going on there, I'm just waiting a few more weeks hoping to get a little longer division. Spring is here so alot of my plants are waking up.

Here are 2 more growing in the aquasoil.

U. calycifida - a small piece was used to seed this area, there are now 3 plants above the soil. If you have grown this one you understand what I'm taking about, there may be another 10 fully formed plants under the soil leaves and all in complete darkness....An interesting thing about this one, there is a transistion to a mud medium on one side and a transistion to a sphagnum moss area on another side, the Utric is only growing in the ADA medium so far.

Sorry for the bad pic, but I would have to move the entire tank to get a better one and I'm not going to .

Next up is U. longifolia - this one started bout about 1" in size and I've taken 5-6 runner cuttings already. There are runners coming out of the bottom of the pot too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding. More ideas to think about. What variant of ADA Aquasoil did yo use? I see at least 3 variants online.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    Outstanding. More ideas to think about. What variant of ADA Aquasoil did yo use? I see at least 3 variants online.
    I believe it was the Amazonia, I had about 1/5 of a bag left from the cube and used it all up with Utrics .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast