Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tested NAPA, APS, Aquasoil with U. graminifolia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaker78 View Post
    I was considering the Amazon II in both normal and powder forms?
    Several weeks (or months) ago, I was planning to purchase some aquasoil so I did some reading and iirc, some people had issues with the Amazonian II stuff. I don't recall what the issues were but my reminder has a note not to get the II - only get the I.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I did a little more looking and came across this site,

Amazonia
    This is an Aqua Soil made from black dirt rich in organic elements and various nutrients. Organic elements contained in the soil are made up of mainly accumulated dead plant matter that was broken down by decomposers such as soil microbes. Therefore, the soil is rich in ammonia nitrogen that is produced in the process of the decomposition of organic substances, and organic acids such as humic acid and acetic acid that result from the decomposition of plant materials. Aquatic plants grow well in this substrate since these elements encourage the growth of the roots of aquatic plants and at the same time produce an environment in the substrate in which nutrients can be absorbed easily by the roots.

Amazonia II
    This is the newest Aqua Soil that is equipped with the excellent characteristics of other Aqua Soils. The raw material is black dirt, but the composition ratio of its constituents such as organic elements and clay is different from Amazonia. Therefore, its color is somewhat browner. Some reddish brown elements inside granules may be exposed occasionally, but it doesn't affect the growth of roots because the softness and air permeability of the substrate still remain the same. Although it is not superior to Amazonia for its ability to grow aquatic plants, it contains organic acids and nitrogen in a good balance that encourages the growth of the roots of aquatic plants, and aquatic plants grow well in it. This is a substrate material that does not lead to the discoloration of water caused by humic acid, which will be explained later.

Africana
    This Aqua Soil is made from reddish soil. Although its organic elements and nitrogen content are not as high as Amazonia, it is far superior to marine sand in its ability to grow aquatic plants. It lowers the pH of water easily and has an excellent ability to adjust water quality.

Malaya
    This Aqua Soil is made from somewhat yellowish brown soil. It contains the least amount of organic elements and nitrogen among the Aqua Soil series. Its ability to lower pH is the highest and it enables you to maintain acidic water quality easily.
    So.... I sent an email and requested my order to be changed to one of each of the 4 types, normal type... I will try the powder form later if the Amazonia stuff proves to be the best!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.... I sent an email and requested my order to be changed to one of each of the 4 types, normal type... I will try the powder form later if the Amazonia stuff proves to be the best!
    Its nice to hear I'm not the only one with problems . We shipped back a ton of the ADA stuff when we left Japan. I have so much of the Nature Aquarium Goods pond mud it is silly, but I just love the stuff. I'm hoarding it .

I'll have to spend some time and read all that info, thanks for the link.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just sand and peat.... and wet conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received Amazonia, Amazonia II, and Africana APS in the normal size. I have Malaya APS coming from another source in normal and powder size. Iím curious as to not only how Utrics grow in this material, but also how it holds up long term. It seems to be common knowledge that some Utrics grow better when they are divided but I am wondering if this is not only due to being divided but due to the effects of the substrate aging as new substrate is commonly added after a plant is divided. I have had my U. graminifolia less than a month so it may be a little bit before I can set up a test, but I am really curious!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received Amazonia, Amazonia II, and Africana APS in the normal size. I have Malaya APS coming from another source in normal and powder size. Iím curious as to not only how Utrics grow in this material, but also how it holds up long term. It seems to be common knowledge that some Utrics grow better when they are divided but I am wondering if this is not only due to being divided but due to the effects of the substrate aging as new substrate is commonly added after a plant is divided. I have had my U. graminifolia less than a month so it may be a little bit before I can set up a test, but I am really curious!
    The ADA mediums should hold up for years, the longest I've personally had some set-up was 3-4 years. Its was aquatic, the medium is soft so it will crush and compact if your mean to your pots/plants.

You could easily make an arguement for the dividing helping growth speed because of increasing the airflow, removing alot of the decomposing materials and in my case sometimes I ignore plants and dividing refocuses me on them for a few months. Also the influx of natural/actifical ferts in the new medium.

All of these could be address with the ADA mediums, they have really good airflow, decay really slowly, and release low levels of ferts over years.

Without lab equipment who knows, I'm using it since it retards moss growth in my setups and looks nicer, the increase growth I think I have is just a perk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking at my U. sandersonii that I have had growing in the same medium for several years I do think that the drawback of peat based mediums is that they do compact. I have noticed that even though I occasionally rip out the older parts of the plant, that the growth seems to be more and more limited to the surface of the soil. In fact, I took a bit out a couple weeks ago and the growth doesnt seem to go down more than 1cm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm all out of Amazonia AquaSoil and Amazon.com no longer carries it. I settled on a (smelly) bag of Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate from Amazon.com thinking it would be "soft" like the Amazonia..but it's not.
    So....what's out there that's "soft" and comparable to Amazonia AquaSoil?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12