Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tested NAPA, APS, Aquasoil with U. graminifolia

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tested NAPA, APS, Aquasoil with U. graminifolia

Thanks to the kinda efforts of another TF member I recieved some APS and NAPA mediums so I figured I'd run a test and see if I should get more. These have been COMPLETELY ignored, expect for checking the water level since Sept 09.

I started out with 4 same sized containers with the same drainage holes and the same level of medium. All 4 were kept in the same water at the same level under the same humidy/temps/lights.

The test plant was U. graminifolia since I have tons of it. I did my best to ensure the initial portion size was equal.

Top left - NAPA medium - Kinda grew, kinda dies. Some algae. Complete failure.
    Top right - ADA aquasoil - Always grew well, ended up getting moss growing near the end . No algae
    Bottom left - APS medium - This one had to be reseeded 3 times, it finally took after the 3rd go and I had to raise the water level to allow it to grow in this stuff, and starting the algae blooms on some of the soil surfaces. Lots of algae. Not too useful.
    Bottom right - Peat/Sand contol medium - some UG growing out of the bottom of the pot (the only one of the 4 doing that). Lots of algae and some moss. Before the algae bloom this one looked ok, it did not handle the algae well.

To sum things up, I am still looking for the magic medium .

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Here is a photo from Dec 09 when I reseeded the APS and then raised the water level. The reasoning behind raising the water level was simply that UG will grow in just plain water and maybe that will help. Well it did kinda of.

The containers are in a different order so:

Top left - ADA aquasoil
    Top right - Peat/Sand
    Bottom left - APS medium
    Bottom right - NAPA medium

Ignore the 2 pots of U. sandersonii, I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the key is to nip the moss while it's in it's infant stages---that or partially submerge the moss. the utric can take it but the moss wont be able to unless it's aquatic.

here's mine in flora-base (a poor man's ADA soil)
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    i think the key is to nip the moss while it's in it's infant stages---that or partially submerge the moss. the utric can take it but the moss wont be able to unless it's aquatic.

here's mine in flora-base (a poor man's ADA soil)
    Nice setup there.

I checked out flora-base real quick and it seemed about the same price of the ADA stuff. 11 pound bags vs 9 liter bags. The 11 pound bag says its enough for a 10g tank, while the 9 liter says its enough for a 15g tank. The 9 liter bag is about 20% more.

Am I missing something? I've never seen the 2 together so unless 11 pounds covers more area than 9 liters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried to compare how plants grow in the various types of aquasoil? I’m noticing that there are 4 different types and 2 different sizes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaker78 View Post
    Has anyone tried to compare how plants grow in the various types of aquasoil? Iím noticing that there are 4 different types and 2 different sizes.
    I have not, I've just been using the last of the bag I had left over from the fish tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process of placing an order I was considering the Amazon II in both normal and powder forms?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaker78 View Post
    I am in the process of placing an order I was considering the Amazon II in both normal and powder forms?
    Unless you have very fine screens in your pots I would not order the powder, with the normal I had some falling out the holes. If you happen to have a soil shifter you can get enough fine material to use as top dressing for the smaller CPs.

Please share you results with it. Just because I've managed to "get away" with something doesn't mean anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of using the powder as a top dressing. I ended up ordering the amazonia II (normal and powder) and the african ADA aquasoil.

I will definetly share my results but it may take a little time as I am just now trying to rebuild my collection so I have had nearly all of my plants less than a month. However, I do have 28 species and I am trying hard to aquire more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast