What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I received an unconfirmed Orchidioides cross from a friend last fall. During repotting, I took a small section to plant in another pot. As time went on, it became more & more apparent that the two pots contained very different plants. For a few months I figured the utric had died & there was now some form of weed growing. Several months passed and the pot now had several vertical spike growths which I assumed were a bog weed. However, when I pulled one out, a significant section of underground utric growth pulled up also. Upon closer inspection, it appeared that the spike growths, bladders & other leaves all come from the same mass of underground growth.

I've shown pics of the plant to the originator of the hybrid Orchidioides & another grower from whom I have made several trades. Neither recognizes the plant nor has anything similar in their collection. The plant has yet to flower in my care.

The pot is 2.5" (6.3cm).
Unknownutrictop050710RS.jpg

Side view:
Unknownutric-side050710RS.jpg

Close-up of central 'rosette':
Unknownutric-center050710RS.jpg

Close-up of leaves at edge of pot:
Unknownutric-edge050710RS.jpg

Later edit: Searching through Barry's faq & Bob's photofinder, U. praelonga would seem to be a candidate due to the 2 leaf types but the few foliage photos I could find did not seem to match well.

U. praelonga

There are several kinds of U. praelonga out there. Yours is different from the kind I grow, but it is definately a form of U. praelonga.

If you ever want to see flowers, give it cold winters and allow it to become root bound in a large pot (~10").

There are several kinds of U. praelonga out there. Yours is different from the kind I grow, but it is definately a form of U. praelonga.
So the vertical grass-like leaves are diagnostic?

If you ever want to see flowers, give it cold winters and allow it to become root bound in a large pot (~10").
Cold winters & potbound I can see - but a 10" pot for this ugly little weenie plant??!! Yikes - that's a lot of valuable real estate... :lac:

Everything about it screams U. praelonga to me, not just the long leaves. Both kinds of leaves look like praelonga (size/shape) and I know that some people on these forums have been trading around the clumping type. Mine doesn't clump though.

Yeah, it is a lot of space but you can try making it flower with less. Let us know how it goes!

Back